Fairly mature tomatoes transplanted outside?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello,

I have a question I'm not sure the answer to. I have an indoor grow setup and I have 3 mature tomato plants I want to throw in the garden outside. They are called arctic plenty, off hand I think it was 50 day maturity. They have several groups of flowers and one tomato is even growing slightly. Can I throw these outside after last frost or will the light spectrum mess things up? I know you'll say to keep them in but honestly I live on a main drag and nobody bugs them, and I like to freak people out with very large plants early in spring. Problem is, these are determinate and I've always done indeterminate so that they would produce almost all year (in canada lol). I'm basically wondering if they will some how revert and drop flowers due to the light spectrum or like the hours of light. Right now light is on for 14 hrs a day.

Thanks.

Edit: I ask here because I know a lot of people who greenhouse also do or have grown indoors similar to this. I just don't want to drop flowers!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
If you introduce them slowly to outdoor conditions they will do just fine.

You can start with 2-4 hours in the shade, then bring them in. Next day increase the time by 2 hours. On the 3rd day give them 2 hours of sun and so on.

Or you can do like I do. Which is to bring them out and let them sink or swim. I pick an area that gets 4 hours shade and the rest of the day sunshine. However I don't recommend this for beginners.

Ask a Question