Mature Fiddle Leaf Losing Leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am a relatively new gardener but have been trying to follow all the guidance on here (THANK YOU ALREADY!). I have a fairly mature fiddle leaf fern picture attached (Original photo #1 current #7, that location is a western facing window, in Chicago).

I have had it for around 3 months and water it ~ every two weeks with ~90 ounces of water. Let it drain out and then siphon it from the drainage tray.

It has lost around 1 small leaf per week for the past 2 months (potentially since I got it). Until now I had blamed it on the transition but I am worried that it is still losing leaves. I have attached a picture of a dropped leaf (this may be a day or two after it dropped).

The plant seems to be in good shape and I have yet to identify any of these leaves in advance of them dropping. Some other leaves have dark spots that appear to be from physical bruising (attached) while others have damage at the ends of leaves (attached).

I am not sure what might be wrong. It is across the room from a vent (~12 feet) and it is dry here, though we have two humidifiers running in bedrooms. Any advice or are the leaves dropping normal? Should I be fertilizing it?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 43
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 46

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to GF
There seems to be a lot of branches, there might be too many leaves so they're getting damaged and falling off. Could try thinning them out a bit, don't know about the feeding.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you! It is quite dense! If I might ask, would it be important to thin them out manually or should I just let them continue to fall themselves?

Ask a Question