Mature Mango Tree is having pest/infestation issues

Reaction score
Country
United States
Im sorry if this post is too long. I am adding information that may be useful for someone to help me with my issues.

We own a house in Humacao, Puerto Rico. The house is less than 1/4 mile from the beach so our soil is slightly sandy with alot of small to medium size rocks and I suspect salty. I've dug several holes in this dirt when planting and found that after about 2.5 feet, the soil turns to clay.

Please note. Our primary residence is in an apartment in Brooklyn, NY. We vacation at the house in PR twice a year for about 4-5 weeks. So our tree maintenance window is very small.

Ever since the 80's, this plot of land had a Mango tree. The mango tree is currently 19 feet tall only because we have been pruning the tallest branches. Also we cut back the tallest branches in the middle of the tree to allow sunlight in. The Mango tree actually survived hurricane Maria (9/2017) because it was between two structures. One of its 3 leading trunks did fall, but the other two trunks remain. The mango tree gave us a small harvest in June of 2018 and by June of 2019 its harvest was back to normal.

We are currently in Puerto Rico (today is 12/25/2020) and noticed that our Mango tree has lots of black sooty mold. We did some research and found that this sooty mold comes from bugs that have eggs on the bottom part of leaves that are above the leaves with the sooty mold. So we have been painstakingly going through the leaves to remove any eggs/cocoons and the black sooty mold from the leaves. We also plan to apply "Organicide", "BeeSafe 3-in-1 Garden Spray" after we clean all the leaves. The first two pictures show this.

We've tried homemade organic insecticides. In the past, we have applied a mix of garlic, onion and cayenne pepper with a sprayer. In 6/20/2020 we were also in PR and applied a homemade whitewash (recipe is below) to the tree trunk in an attempt to prevent insects/pests from climbing up on the tree. We even applied a layer of tanglefoot paper with a layer of sticky paste to the trunk of some smaller Mango, avocado, custard apple and Soursop trees. However, the infestations are still occurring. I think its because we are not here in PR to repeatedly apply the organic insecticides.

Our Soursop trees have similar infestations. These trees have given us many fruit in the past year and are currently budding a lot. However, the buds seem to be falling off on their own before maturing to a fruit. There is one fruit on the Soursop tree which is covered with a white powder like bushy dust. The last three pictures show this. The leaves I circled in the last picture show the petals of the bud that was on the soursop tree.

I guess my question is, how can I better control these infestations given the limited amount of time we have here in Puerto Rico? What are our options? Any recommendations? Any help is appreciated.

Resized_20201225_180728.jpeg
Resized_20201225_180757.jpeg

20201225_181125.jpg

Resized_20201225_181257.jpeg

20201225_181134-2.jpg

Whitewash recipe:
2 cups of salt with 1 gallon of warm water and stir to dissolve the salt.
6 to 8 cups of hydrated lime to the salt water.
1 cup diatomaceous earth
Mix well until the lime is dissolved.
8 DROPS OF EACH:
castor oil
cinnamon oil
clove oil
garlic oil
peppermint oil
spearmint oil
rosemary oil
neem oil
tea tree
lemongrass
Mix well. The mixture should be thinner than traditional paint.

Attachments

• 20201225_181134.jpg
    20201225_181134.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 53
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Im sorry if this post is too long. I am adding information that may be useful for someone to help me with my issues.

We own a house in Humacao, Puerto Rico. The house is less than 1/4 mile from the beach so our soil is slightly sandy with alot of small to medium size rocks and I suspect salty. I've dug several holes in this dirt when planting and found that after about 2.5 feet, the soil turns to clay.

Please note. Our primary residence is in an apartment in Brooklyn, NY. We vacation at the house in PR twice a year for about 4-5 weeks. So our tree maintenance window is very small.

Ever since the 80's, this plot of land had a Mango tree. The mango tree is currently 19 feet tall only because we have been pruning the tallest branches. Also we cut back the tallest branches in the middle of the tree to allow sunlight in. The Mango tree actually survived hurricane Maria (9/2017) because it was between two structures. One of its 3 leading trunks did fall, but the other two trunks remain. The mango tree gave us a small harvest in June of 2018 and by June of 2019 its harvest was back to normal.

We are currently in Puerto Rico (today is 12/25/2020) and noticed that our Mango tree has lots of black sooty mold. We did some research and found that this sooty mold comes from bugs that have eggs on the bottom part of leaves that are above the leaves with the sooty mold. So we have been painstakingly going through the leaves to remove any eggs/cocoons and the black sooty mold from the leaves. We also plan to apply "Organicide", "BeeSafe 3-in-1 Garden Spray" after we clean all the leaves. The first two pictures show this.

We've tried homemade organic insecticides. In the past, we have applied a mix of garlic, onion and cayenne pepper with a sprayer. In 6/20/2020 we were also in PR and applied a homemade whitewash (recipe is below) to the tree trunk in an attempt to prevent insects/pests from climbing up on the tree. We even applied a layer of tanglefoot paper with a layer of sticky paste to the trunk of some smaller Mango, avocado, custard apple and Soursop trees. However, the infestations are still occurring. I think its because we are not here in PR to repeatedly apply the organic insecticides.

Our Soursop trees have similar infestations. These trees have given us many fruit in the past year and are currently budding a lot. However, the buds seem to be falling off on their own before maturing to a fruit. There is one fruit on the Soursop tree which is covered with a white powder like bushy dust. The last three pictures show this. The leaves I circled in the last picture show the petals of the bud that was on the soursop tree.

I guess my question is, how can I better control these infestations given the limited amount of time we have here in Puerto Rico? What are our options? Any recommendations? Any help is appreciated.

View attachment 74249View attachment 74250

View attachment 74251
View attachment 74252
View attachment 74254

Whitewash recipe:
2 cups of salt with 1 gallon of warm water and stir to dissolve the salt.
6 to 8 cups of hydrated lime to the salt water.
1 cup diatomaceous earth
Mix well until the lime is dissolved.
8 DROPS OF EACH:
castor oil
cinnamon oil
clove oil
garlic oil
peppermint oil
spearmint oil
rosemary oil
neem oil
tea tree
lemongrass
Mix well. The mixture should be thinner than traditional paint.
What you have are called scale insects. You have both hard scale and soft scale insects. The best way to kill them is with either Neem Oil or Horticultural Oil at the rate of 2 oz per gallon of water. Hard scale insects are permanently attached to the leaves and trunk and will not immediately fall off when dead. These insects can severely damage or even kill a tree if not taken care of.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Chuck,

Thanks for your response.

To which tree are you referring? Is it the Mango tree (picutred in my post) or the Soursop tree (pictured in my post) or both?

Can I apply both Horticulture and Neem oil at the same time? Or choose one?

How often does the Horticulture and/or Neem oil have to be applied?

Please note, it rains here in my town just about every day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck,

Thanks for your response.

To which tree are you referring? Is it the Mango tree (picutred in my post) or the Soursop tree (pictured in my post) or both?

Can I apply both Horticulture and Neem oil at the same time? Or choose one?

How often does the Horticulture and/or Neem oil have to be applied?

Please note, it rains here in my town just about every day.
Both have scale. Pesticides don't work very well against scale, oil does. Oil smothers the insects which have a paraffin like substance on them which stops the poisons from being effective. You will have to spray the ENTIRE tree a minimum of 3 times to make sure you get all of the insects, both hard and soft. Spray 7-10 days apart.

Ask a Question