Immature Zucchini Flowering

Reaction score
Country
United States
On Sep 25 I sowed Black Beauty zucchini seeds directly into my raised beds. Roughly 6 days later the seeds sprouted. My young zucchini plants now have two small true leaves along with their cotyledons. Last night while I was checking on my plants I noticed that the plants themselves are turning a light green color (possibly a light green with a hue of yellow) and that very small flower buds have begun to form at the first (only) node. What is causing the immature flowering as well as the light green instead of a darker green coloring? Also it has been 13 days since the seedling popped out of the ground. I feel as though my plants should be larger. Am I correct to think this?

I live in South Florida where daily temps have been around 88°F during the day and ±70°F at night. I frequently water my plants but I did allow them to go without water for 2ish days as I thought the soil felt somewhat damp when I stuck my finger in it. Is it possible that I am under-watering my plants? My soil is a dark black/brown garden soil with a fairly good organic composition that drains well. I also topped my garden beds with 1/2" to 1" of Black Kow compost.

Any information would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have observed this very thing and in every case that little flower bud does not completely form and it shrivels up and dies. It is nothing you did or did not do. I think it is a genetic issue. The light green coloring is usually a sign of nutrient deficiencies, usually nitrogen. Black Kow compost is good stuff and supplies needed organic matter but its NPK value is very low, about .5-.5-.5, not even one percent. Compost is NOT a fertilizer. Compost adds organic matter to the soil which in turn feeds soil microbes and soil microbes are what makes fertilizer nutrients available for plant uptake. So, you need to fertilize your zucs with a NPK fertilizer and not worry about that premature little flower bud.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have observed this very thing and in every case that little flower bud does not completely form and it shrivels up and dies. It is nothing you did or did not do. I think it is a genetic issue. The light green coloring is usually a sign of nutrient deficiencies, usually nitrogen. Black Kow compost is good stuff and supplies needed organic matter but its NPK value is very low, about .5-.5-.5, not even one percent. Compost is NOT a fertilizer. Compost adds organic matter to the soil which in turn feeds soil microbes and soil microbes are what makes fertilizer nutrients available for plant uptake. So, you need to fertilize your zucs with a NPK fertilizer and not worry about that premature little flower bud.
I have a bag of Espoma Garden Tone Organic Plant food which I believe is a 3-4-4 granular fertilizer. Will this fertilizer work or should I use a liquid fertilizer so that I can get it to the roots immediately?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a bag of Espoma Garden Tone Organic Plant food which I believe is a 3-4-4 granular fertilizer. Will this fertilizer work or should I use a liquid fertilizer so that I can get it to the roots immediately?
Espoma is a great fertilizer, however, it is a slow release fertilizer. Liquid fertilizers are usually quick release. I would do both. It is very important to start vegetable plants off at a fast rate and to not let them slow their growth. Slowing growth inhibits production

Ask a Question