Dill between tomatoes and peppers?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Is it okay to plant dill with tomatoes and peppers? I've never done it before but I have some unexpected extra space between some tomatoes and peppers. Not the mammoth dill but the short stuff. Usually I plant it off to the side but this will save me some time and tilling. I just don't know if they grow well together or not.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I would not do it...rather find another space for it.

Dill as it matures is said to have a retarding effect on tomato growth. Also, it can become invasive if you aren't careful. Basil would be a much better choice IMO.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is it okay to plant dill with tomatoes and peppers? I've never done it before but I have some unexpected extra space between some tomatoes and peppers. Not the mammoth dill but the short stuff. Usually I plant it off to the side but this will save me some time and tilling. I just don't know if they grow well together or not.
Don't do it. While young dill can help in aphid control, older dill inhibits growth of both tomatoes and peppers.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I would not do it...rather find another space for it.

Dill as it matures is said to have a retarding effect on tomato growth. Also, it can become invasive if you aren't careful. Basil would be a much better choice IMO.
Don't do it. While young dill can help in aphid control, older dill inhibits growth of both tomatoes and peppers.
Thank you both for the replies, I am glad I asked. I'll stick with normal routine and put the dill where I always do. I'll either plant some basil or some more tomato plants, maybe some cherry tomatoes. I'd prefer basil but it's so freaking expensive to buy lol. I prefer growing everything from seed myself but it's probably too late to start basil from seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you both for the replies, I am glad I asked. I'll stick with normal routine and put the dill where I always do. I'll either plant some basil or some more tomato plants, maybe some cherry tomatoes. I'd prefer basil but it's so freaking expensive to buy lol. I prefer growing everything from seed myself but it's probably too late to start basil from seed.
You've still got time for basil. 10 days max for germination and about 4 weeks until you can begin harvesting. You should get at least a month of basil before frost.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Thanks @Chuck, I'll do that then. I'm glad because I'll have too many tomatoes as it is. Some fresh pesto would be awesome.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Surely you jest. One can NEVER have too many fresh homegrown tomatoes.
Problem is I grow all the same kind, beefsteak. I should really switch it up and grow different kinds. Especially so they don't all get ripe at the same time.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I should really switch it up and grow different kinds. ...
Have you considered the Super Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes? They are easy to grow and have tremendous flavor. The production is amazing on them and lasts longer here than just about any other tomato.

I love these things...

cherry tomato.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am a guy or perpetual routine lol.. trying to break that habit with gardening so I will see if the farm store has those tomatoes. If I don't put them there I'll find a spot. They would be good too for snacking on while working in the garden.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
They are absolutely fantastic for snacking while working in the garden. I do that regularly...see added picture above.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Cherry tomatoes are evil!

That said, I haven't had any issues with dill growing among my nightshades. In fact, they often volunteer together in the garden. Basil is a natural match for tomatoes though. An old rule of thumb, if they taste good together, they probably grow well together.

Obviously not foolproof, onions and potatoes taste wonderful, supposedly don't grow well together.

Funny, the same is said about peas and garlic, but my accidental pea seems ok so far in the garlic patch.

Ask a Question