Armadillo Invasion

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8A
Country
United States
6A025D5A-C597-42BA-8BE5-E4CA734BD8D2.jpeg
Armadillos are digging up portions of our lawn. How can we stop them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Lou, armadillos like grubs. Do you have grubs in your lawn? If so, a grub killer will take care of that problem, and therefore the 'dillos.
We treat our lawn (and I use that name loosely since we have a variety of grasses and weeds in our "lawn") with a grub killer in spring, and again in fall. The grub killer also takes care of fleas.
I've been told that armadillo tastes a lot like chicken . . . .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Armadillos are creatures of habit. They use the same entrance and exit from your yard making it easy to catch them in a live trap. Just set the trap about 6-8 feet from the entrance with a couple of 2x4's placed on edge in a V (funnel) shape with the small part of the V at the mouth of the trap. They can't see worth a darn and will not climb over stuff. They will follow the "funnel" right into the trap. If you catch a grown armadillo there will be one more. If you catch a young one there will be 3 more. And they don't taste like chicken. They taste like pork.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Firing up the smoker. Cook them in the shell like an oyster?
I found it easier to split them down the middle and remove the shell. That way none of the meat sticks to the shell. Smoke at 250F for 4 hours. After the first 2 hours wrap in tinfoil. Serve with pinto beans, potato salad and jalapeno pepper.:smuggrin:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I found it easier to split them down the middle and remove the shell. That way none of the meat sticks to the shell. Smoke at 250F for 4 hours. After the first 2 hours wrap in tinfoil. Serve with pinto beans, potato salad and jalapeno pepper.:smuggrin:
And pineapple. Never forget pineapple!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Y’all crack me up!
OPinapple Opossum is a thing. Best to corn feed them for a while of course. They have trashy ways. Hardshells are just like Opossum, so if you venture this way, perhaps you can at least sample some Opossum sausage. But the old ways are dying so hurry.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Me to Big Lou! :D

I've got the same problem with Badgers but they are a protected species here. So even if they had a shell we couldn't cook them. Plus I have no idea what a Badger would taste like....chicken may be? :D
Fresh road kill isn't unlawful is it? Badger appears to be a gourmet delight in England.
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/badger.htm

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
No it isn't Chuck, but Badger road kill here generally makes such a mess of the animal it wouldn't be worth bothering with. So it tastes like pork - or would that be Armadillo? :D The link also states that it also compares to bear meat. Hmmm, I'll have to pass on that, they became extinct here circa 500BC.

I've just found this link....

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/badgers-protection-surveys-and-licences

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
All I can say is that when we are invited to a "pot luck" dinner at a church, or to a "cook out" at a neighbors, I make sure I recognize the meat. Many people think I am a vegetarian . . . .
Lol- you reminded me of the old primitive baptist church in Elam, Alabama. The whole congregation was senior, and the really elderly were prone to salting the food up because their taste buds were fading. Talk about some mystery food. I had casserole that was indeterminant by sight and taste.

Ask a Question