Dill germination inside during winter

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hi, I have problem with dill germination inside my home during winter. It does not germinate at all. :( Same seeds germinated very well last summer and during autumn, and I still have some dill growing. But 2 last attempts to germinate dill inside failed. What could be the problem? I have temperature there about 22-23 C during day and about 17-19 C during night. There is basil growing nearby in same soil and some dill from autumn germination. I keep soil moist all the time, have light, just put there some dill seeds like 1 cm deep and not even one germinated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Try sowing the seed of Dill (Anethum graveolens) at or very near the soil surface. It usually germinates better when the seed is exposed to some light.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As far seed germination goes the ambient temperature is not as important as your soil temperature. It should be at least 70F (21C)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It can drop to 18 C at night. Could this be a problem?
Yes, but I think you are also planting the seeds too deep. Here is how I do it and it works perfectly every time. First of all dill has a sort of tap root so you should have a deeper than usual container. Fill this container with your potting soil and saturate it. Then press down on the potting soil to remove excess moisture. Then put your seeds on top and just LIGHTLY sprinkle DRY potting soil on top to just barely cover the seeds. Then I put mine on a propagating mat at about 75F. Then I get a spray bottle and spray it once or twice a day to keep the soil barely damp. Germination is usually about 7-10 days. Do this about 6 weeks prior to your last frost and transplant as soon as possible after this time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, but I think you are also planting the seeds too deep. Here is how I do it and it works perfectly every time. First of all dill has a sort of tap root so you should have a deeper than usual container. Fill this container with your potting soil and saturate it. Then press down on the potting soil to remove excess moisture. Then put your seeds on top and just LIGHTLY sprinkle DRY potting soil on top to just barely cover the seeds. Then I put mine on a propagating mat at about 75F. Then I get a spray bottle and spray it once or twice a day to keep the soil barely damp. Germination is usually about 7-10 days. Do this about 6 weeks prior to your last frost and transplant as soon as possible after this time.
Following this advice for growing my dill this year!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Hi, I have problem with dill germination inside my home during winter. It does not germinate at all. :( Same seeds germinated very well last summer and during autumn, and I still have some dill growing. But 2 last attempts to germinate dill inside failed. What could be the problem? I have temperature there about 22-23 C during day and about 17-19 C during night. There is basil growing nearby in same soil and some dill from autumn germination. I keep soil moist all the time, have light, just put there some dill seeds like 1 cm deep and not even one germinated.
Have always sown dill directly in Fall or Spring - right on the surface.

Ask a Question