Dill gone wild

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
So I was following some "advice" from a podcast and blog this year with my dill. I took the whole packet and scattered it in the area of my garden I wanted it in. Then I used what I wanted and let the rest go to seed. Today I was back there to get some for tzatziki sauce - and wading through my pumpkins to get there. Oh man did this stuff go to seed. Many of them have dropped seeds all over the mulch of the garden and I also collected about 2 seed packs of seed in 2 minutes when out there.

So did I create a problem for myself? Will this dill get out of control next year?

My garden style is always have a mulch layer on the soil and not to till the soil.

This is an area I plan on rotating pole beans, squash, and trellised tomatoes through. I see no reason NOT to have dill in there also.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'd advise to keep an eye on it for sure.

I always have a container w/dill around but purposefully keep it well away from the garden and I watch for it to pop up on any bare ground.

Some folks consider it invasive, and I can understand why but if you watch out for it, it can be easily held in check. It is well worth having around in spite of this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have the opposite. I can't get much dill to grow and the timing is incorrect for making pickles.

This year I'm trying to sprinkle seed every other week. Maybe I can get some grown when the pickles are due.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
So I was following some "advice" from a podcast and blog this year with my dill. I took the whole packet and scattered it in the area of my garden I wanted it in. Then I used what I wanted and let the rest go to seed. Today I was back there to get some for tzatziki sauce - and wading through my pumpkins to get there. Oh man did this stuff go to seed. Many of them have dropped seeds all over the mulch of the garden and I also collected about 2 seed packs of seed in 2 minutes when out there.

So did I create a problem for myself? Will this dill get out of control next year?

My garden style is always have a mulch layer on the soil and not to till the soil.

This is an area I plan on rotating pole beans, squash, and trellised tomatoes through. I see no reason NOT to have dill in there also.
Having grown dill and fennel, they tend to really go wild when left to naturally reseed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect I'm being very naive, but surely you'll always get weeds in flower beds. You always have to weed them - right?

So what does it matter if you get loads of dill seedlings to hoe out?

Ask a Question