To late to plant tomatoes?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As my name implies I'm new to all this. So I thought I could continuously propagate some plants in my garage all the time. I've got a few tomatoe plants started from suckers which have some nice roots started. I have no idea what type of tomato they are. Is it even worth putting them in the ground. Farmers almanac says I have until Oct 21st until my first frost. What's the average growing season for tomatoes?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Midwest, go ahead and plant your starts if you have the space. This year's weather has been so strange that the conventional knowledge about length of season, when to plant, and what may happen just doesn't apply!
Give your tomatoes a chance--if they don't produce, you have learned, and if they do produce, you have learned. Gardening is somewhat of an art, and less of a science.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Very much agree. If you have the space, go for it.

Last year I had a ton of tomato babies coming up, reseeded from the previous year. Most I pulled, but I gave a couple to a friend. Even though they were WAY behind the curve being such late starters, they ended up out- performing all her other maters. Granted they were sweet 100s (cherry tomatoes, so quick to mature).

So what would be the harm in breaking the rules. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Sure, why not? Gardening is all about experimenting and learning new things along the way.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm no expert, but, I can definitely agree that the weather this past year has been so off, that, it's hard to answer this.

I just went to weather.com and here in Texas, per forecast, it's going to be hot pretty much all year. Well, the lowest I saw was like 65 degrees, and the hottest 98 or something along those lines. Last year was a rather warm year too. IDK how real climate shift is, but, we definitely seem to be experiencing it. It's like it doesn't even get cold in Texas anymore xD.... At least not Austin anyway.

Ask a Question