late spring transplants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
We have Japnese maples, Chrimson king red maples, and sugar maples in the yard. they all go to seed and the wind carrys them to places I don't do a lot of mowing on. they sprout and I tend to work around them.

Every so often I will ask friends and family if they want some in the fall. If they do I will dig them. Last year we knew were were going to buy the 10 acre property next door. There are a good bit of trees on it. How ever there are a lot of autum olive on it I want to reduce a bit over time.

There were some open vcant spaces so even thought we had not closed the deal at the time I dug my seedlings and moved them. Every one kept warning me to wait till fall but I wanted these first 2 dozen out of my way NOW. So I moved them to the area I wanted them worked the soil around the holes to remove grass and planted the seedings.

At least once a week I was takeing five five gallon pails of water in the tractor front loader to the trees, giving eash tree a 5 gallon drink a bit at a time till the pail was empty.

We had the drought mid July into early Sept. I have not lost even one tree so far despite the deer nipping the tops off most of them. But the trees if all the leaves had been nipped off they grew new leaves.

Now we have closed the deal on the property is ours to do with as we want up to a point.
I have more trees to move but thinking I will wait till Oct when the leavs are off so there is now flag to aleart the deer tender nibbles here.

Some of rhe remaining seedlings i have are 5 foot tall.
I also have about 44 pounds of Red Oak acorns I am planing on just throwing out on top of the ground to hopefully germinate and grow.

:D Al

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nice to hear! Olive are quite tough, I think! I hope you can sell them and make a bit of money. Here, Olive has become very trendy and a big one cost nearly £100! In the last programme, I saw nearly 20 mature olives in 20 enormous terracotta pots. Quite impressive. Pot them up and I hope you can make some money or some friends via them.

Ask a Question