My latest tree experiment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
81CEFABA-6ABE-49F1-BD64-2647D9BD85DB.jpeg
Each year I have tried to grow various Conifers from seed with very little success. I tried different methods of stratification with varying success. After receiving this falls seeds I decided to let nature do the work. I have quite a few wood scraps left from building my garage so I am building some grow boxes. This will protect the seeds from the squirrels and any seedlings from the deer.

I have placed them in the woods near pine trees hoping that nature will have provided the proper soil for germination. I covered the seeds lightly with the leaves and pine needles that were in the area. I will now leave them to the elements to see what happens. I have planted Colorado Blue Spruce, Scotch Pine and Loblolly Pine seeds. I will update if/when there is any progress.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Do you think they require a certain number of chill hours before they believe it is spring?

According to everything I have read the answer is yes. The Loblolly is the only one I have seen grown locally so I am keeping my fingers crossed that our winter will be cold enough to stratify the other two.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

In 30 years you might need binoculars to see the tops of them Silentrunning. :) They start off slowly but once they get their feet in the ground they go ballistic; best of luck with them. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Good luck with those Silentrunning. If you have any spare seeds you could stratify them in your fridge or freezer for a couple of months.

The seed company sent me many extras so I will put some in the garage (unheated) some in the refrigerator and some in the freezer. I will also attempt to keep a log of temps for this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The seed company sent me many extras so I will put some in the garage (unheated) some in the refrigerator and some in the freezer. I will also attempt to keep a log of temps for this.
I am curious about the low temp minimum. Here, we would never meet it, so we would have to create the condition for seeds, where the plant growth that folllows would never again require that same low temp.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am curious about the low temp minimum. Here, we would never meet it, so we would have to create the condition for seeds, where the plant growth that folllows would never again require that same low temp.

That is my concern with the Colorado Blue Spruce. Even if I get some to sprout, our winters may not provide enough dormant time to sustain the tree. I am quite sure the Scotch Pine will manage to grow but with the crazy winters we have been having there is no way to know. This is why I will try to keep an accurate log of dates, rain/snowfall and temperatures.

Ask a Question