My latest rescue....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had walked a mile or so with the dogs yesterday when I found this little chap. He was sitting forlornly by his dead mum waiting for dinner that didn`t come. Such a sad picture.
It was a long way back to the car, and we hurried. I was worried the poor little chap was too dehydrated to recover. We got back home and I was able to use my emergency bag to feed him. He is a mistle thrush, and these have become quite scarce in our neck of the woods.
He is safe now, and recovering.

Attachments

• DSC00002 (2).JPG
    DSC00002 (2).JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 305
Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yes Mark, I work with our local rescue, and have all sorts of emergency equipment at the ready for almost any occasion, even a few chicks in the freezer in case a baby owl comes in. I have special formula for nestlings, and I had him chirping a little by the time he was collected to go into longer term care. My friends who have the rescue are set up for anything that comes in, and are in touch with all the other organisations too - including the bat people. People can bring any creatures here that need help - I`m only a halfway house though - just a link in the chain.
DSC00001 (3).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh good for you! I worked closely for many years with a registered (have to be legally, here) wildlife plus general animal rescue here. I was officially one of the dog people but got involved with feeding fauns and baby possums, getting a raccoon safely out of a Dumpster, and handling other wildlife. Fascinating, and I learned a lot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is very rewarding Beth isn`t it. I have fostered and re homed lots of small dogs with a rescue before I helped out with wildlife generally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It is very rewarding Beth isn`t it. I have fostered and re homed lots of small dogs with a rescue before I helped out with wildlife generally.

It really is! I had Rottweilers for 30 years, and they can be assholes, so I mostly fostered small dogs, which the rottweilers tolerated and enjoyed. Loved seeing them off to a perfect "forever" home.

I hope your little guy will thrive in rescue and get to fly away and be a wild bird soon.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Update.... :) Little Melvin the Mistle is doing very well. He has made friends with two rescued collar doves, and I`m told he chatters a lot. Am hoping he will be coming here camping soon with a few other little rescued souls, and when he does I will get some more snapshots of him. He has upgraded to meal worms too, now he`s a big boy...
When it`s time for him to go out into the big world, he will be released here - we have more Mistle thrushes here for him to get in with......so far, so good :D (y)(y)

Ask a Question