Latest thread/post problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I've just noticed that the posts in the Latest Thread list don't seem to be updating properly. It is now 23.01pm and the last post showing was posted at 9.01pm. I've posted two or three times between 7pm and 9pm but none are showing. Have I missed something or is there something at fault please?

Edit: Would you believe this post has just appeared immediately. Hmmm, strange! :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I noticed a day or so ago that a new thread had been posted, but was not in the "Latest Threads" in the sidebar. There were new threads posted after it, but for some reason, that one thread didn't register. :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
The latest threads sidebar will only show newly created threads, rather than threads with new posts/replies - would that explain part of the problem? i.e. the time it shows was when the thread was created, rather than the latest reply.

I've had a look at the settings for it and it all appears to be working ok as far as I can tell. There is a "caching" mechanism behind the list, which means it may take up to ~5 minutes to update (depending on server load) - so sometimes if you've only just made a new thread, it might not appear instantly.

Every forum software app seems to work differently, so some sidebars show latest posts, others just threads. Some "new posts" buttons show all new threads, others only unread ones (i.e. never shows your own latest posts, as you know they've been made). Pretty confusing isn't it :LOL:.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Before the update, the sidebar showed both "latest threads" and "new posts," if I remember correctly.:unsure: I usually glance at the "Latest Threads," then click the "New Posts," and between the two, I don't think I've missed anything vital. :ROFLMAO:

A couple days ago, a new thread was posted, I forget which one, but it was on the forum list, saying "34 minutes ago," and was not listed in the "Latest Threads." :confused: I clicked the forum it was in, to make sure it was a new thread, because I found it odd, and odd things make me curious.:cautious:

I've only seen it happen one time, and though I still think it's odd, I was not going to ask about it, since I found it anyway. But if Sheal is seeing new threads not show up, then I thought it was worth a mention.

( I wish there was a little smilie of a face with its hands up, shrugging in an "I don't know" position. Picture one here.)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
dunno.gif
That one any good @MaryMary

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ah yes, there was a new posts sidebar as well as the latest threads one (around the time we upgraded), but I removed the former as it only appeared by mistake (as it's enabled by default, but takes up a lot more processing power to display). I forgot about that!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Can i show my computer ignorance again and ask where you guys get your fancy faces from. I only lnow the ones avaiable when i click above this:(

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Haha, don't worry, it's easily done with all of the different sidebar options that exist these days :).

Ask a Question