My latest sampler

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I hadn't realised that phrase was a palindrome! Great idea for a wall hanging :D You'll have to show us a photo if you do decide to make it!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Would like to see a revival of that! You could start it with some kids and it would be a worthwhile pastime!

Here, some old ladies were knitting and crocheting weekly or so in the libraries with cups of tea, biscuits and cakes and a little chat. Very good as they got to get out of the lonely 4 walls, their children probably living far away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They have a knitting group at our library too @alp, not just for old ladies though :LOL:....it's for all ages (y) Our local Hobbycraft do the same too.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Well, I saw only old ladies in my local libraries. Libraries have become a lousy place. The stench of baby nappies just overwhelmed the last library I went to. Of course, accompanied by a cacophony of screams .. I love babies as they are the blood for future of most ageing western countries, but I would appreciate a room where the nappy stench could confine itself to. Ah, babies.. They are just lovely - full of hope, innocence until they are tainted by .. This is worsened by the limited hours of opening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We are very lucky and have two wonderful libraries locally. I am a great fan of them and used them a lot during my working days .I took even the smallest of children to all the activities that they use to (and still do) provide for the kiddies. Music , singing, crafts, puppet shows, story times, word hunts, lego building.....and they even have occasional visits from a local wildlife trust.....bringing with them owls, snakes, lizards!!!

As you can tell I am a great fan of libraries.....such a shame that some are now having to shut. When I was young they were musty smelling places where no talking whatsoever was the rule ....and if you even whispered you received a frown from the strict looking librarian!.......much friendly now!!

For adults too they offer a wealth of activities along with the knitting ones they do ancestry family tree building sessions, book clubs etc.
I love reading...I have read 15 books so far this year, admittedly I read more in winter as I don't really watch much TV.

Anything that encourages children into libraries and sparks their interest in books/ reading is OK by me

Sorry.....back to thethread now :D:ROFLMAO::D(y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, such a shame! It was cut to the bone.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
As a retired children's librarian, I appreciate the praise y'all have heaped on libraries! During my tenure, we had weekly morning readings for pre-schoolers, lots of programs on Saturday mornings (the dog that did lots of tricks was the favorite and even came back for another performance) that were attended by children and adults. Some adults even borrowed children so they could come! And of course we had a four week summer reading program with suggested books, crafts tied to the story of the week, and a bulletin board with the participants' names.

One of the best programs was bedtime story--the children came in their pajamas, clutching a favorite soft toy, and parents sat with the child beside them or on their laps. I read a nice calming story or two guaranteed to give good dreams, and then they went home and to bed.

A nurse at the local hospital let me know about births and I made sure each new mother got a "library package" which was a board book, a library card with the child's name on it, and a list of upcoming events at the library. We got a lot of new patrons that way, both adults and children.

Ours was a "free" library, established in the 1850's when it was the custom to charge a subscription fee but this library was free. The town contributed a small amount but the majority of our financing came from patron donations (grandparents are particularly generous!) and fund-raisers held jointly with service groups like the Lions Club or the Friends of the Library. Libraries that are closing or cutting back on hours just aren't trying hard enough. If a library in a small town with a staff of four can attract volunteeers, donations, and run programs to interest the public, then almost any library can do the same.

I think I'll go read a book . . . .

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
mar: You and Upsy are such inspirations. When my son was young, about 6, I took him to the library to watch a play. It started with ghostly sound and dark and sinister atmosphere. My son, being autistic, was so scared that he kicked me to the floor. He never did it before or after. I didn't know that he was scared of this kind beginning. Not a single person came to my help or asked me if I was OK. I left in such embarrassment.

Ask a Question