Started late last year, thinking ahead to spring

Reaction score
We have a raised bed about 9' long and 3' deep up against our back fence. Last year we got a late start and managed to get a lot of cherry tomatoes a few zucchinis and one pumpkin. Our watermelon, onions, peas, and cucumbers never produced.
Does anyone have any advise on what I can start now? I'm in San Diego so our weather varies this time of the year from 40 to 70 degrees.

Reaction score
Hmm. I would think that in your climate it's not at all too early to start peas. But you might want to check with local growers to be sure about that. Onions I have grown successfully and what I recall is that they do want good rich soil and they suffer more from the effects of weeds than some other things might. Cucumbers and watermelon both need the soil to be warm enough and again this is where it would be good to get local expertise to weigh in on the situation. I would go ahead and get peas going and keep the rest of it well mulched (and if you have compost to spread all the better) until you make a plan for your other crops

And I agree a green manure crop is a good way to enrich the soil; however you might want to plan for that next year as I believe it would take longer for that process than you have this season. (Just my opinion though - again, chat up some locals!)

Jed

Reaction score
Hmm.

And I agree a green manure crop is a good way to enrich the soil; however you might want to plan for that next year as I believe it would take longer for that process than you have this season. (Just my opinion though - again, chat up some locals!)
Our planting of beans and peas season is over here. Will be harvesting our peas very soon. We'll soon be preparing for our autumn gardens as soon as I've dug out the potato crop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If I have your weather and an area like yours, I probably would plant some flowers and vegetables. Something easy to manage and doesn't require lots of care. However, do plant what makes you happy to see.

Ask a Question