repotting a plant late in the season it needs it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm hoping to learn something about potting protocol in general - but the question is inspired by a specific circumstance.

I've been given a bonsai tree from a friend. Not sure the specific species, but this little guy has stayed relatively healthy through a few dark Chicago winters. It's getting more sun now here at my home, but I'm wondering if it's gotten too large for the current pot. From what I understand, bonsai are like succulents in that they only need repotted when the roots begin to grow against the boundaries of the pot. I'm pretty certain that's the case here.

So the question is: since it's mid-July, is it too late in the season to repot? or should I go ahead and do that?

Teach me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm hoping to learn something about potting protocol in general - but the question is inspired by a specific circumstance.

I've been given a bonsai tree from a friend. Not sure the specific species, but this little guy has stayed relatively healthy through a few dark Chicago winters. It's getting more sun now here at my home, but I'm wondering if it's gotten too large for the current pot. From what I understand, bonsai are like succulents in that they only need repotted when the roots begin to grow against the boundaries of the pot. I'm pretty certain that's the case here.

So the question is: since it's mid-July, is it too late in the season to repot? or should I go ahead and do that?

Teach me!
You can repot at any time of the year. It is when a tree is going into the ground that you have to be careful as to the season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok noted. Thanks for the response.

Haven't repotted yet because I'll need to purchase bonsai soil, and budget dictates that I'll pick up some citrus food first. I'll post photos should I repot

Ask a Question