Late planting as a weed control measure

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hi! My garden gets a lot of grass in it. But I've noticed that the grass sprouts a bit later than most of the weeds in the garden.

IOW, if I delay planting a little, I can kill most of the weeds with my wheel hoe and the garden stays "pretty good" on weeds from then on, but the grass emerges later after I have planted my veggies.

My question is: How late can I delay planting my garden and still get a proper yield from it? I think I can kill out the grass each year if I delay planting long enough to tackle the grass, then plant the garden.

I'm located in west Tennessee.

Thanks!
-Johntodd

Reaction score
You really are the one that can determine it and it does depend on where you live and how long your growing season. See what happens this year so that you will have a better idea next season. Make sure that you write everything down so that you have something to refer back to.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I do keep notes in a spreadsheet, so that's taken care of.

But, seriously, does anybody have any ideas on how much the late planting can be pushed? I'd like to plant maybe the 2nd-3rd week of June. That'll make it easy to beat the grass.

Reaction score
Why don't you just kill the grass if it is a big problem. There is solutions you can make that kill weeds and not affect your plants. Why waste gardening time when you could do it with no issue!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If only it was that easy. Killing the grass can be done with Roundup. And we've used POAST (Grass Killer), too. But it comes back. Lots of seed in the ground, very fertile soil, nice rainfall, etc., makes everything grow good, including grass.

Reaction score
If only it was that easy. Killing the grass can be done with Roundup. And we've used POAST (Grass Killer), too. But it comes back. Lots of seed in the ground, very fertile soil, nice rainfall, etc., makes everything grow good, including grass.

Welcome John. I'm down near new Orleans so I'm not too familiar with your growing season up there. If you check online at Tennessee college agriculture department website, I'm sure it would give you an idea. If you know your county agent they could help. Any Tenn gardening magazines websites? Still many months til your first frost so I'd think you still have time. Good luck

Reaction score
That makes a lot of sense, Tennesee is far enough south that you could pull it off as long as you aren't located too close to a mountainous area. I live in New England and it would be very, very close and I wouldn't chance it with some of the plants.

Ask a Question