Thuja hedge

Reaction score
Country
Denmark
Hi!

I have some problems with my new hedge. The height of the hedge is between 1 and 1.30m (3 - 4 feet).The grass near the hedge is growing fast and I could damage the dip, soaking hose or the hedge with lawn mover.

My idea is that I would use grass clippings, mulch in the area near the hedge to stop new grass from growing. Grass clippings would cover the are near the hedge and between the Tuja plants. Should I do it or not? I am afraid the soil, hedge won't get enough water if I use grass clippings and I would harm it by doing so.

Reaction score
Country
United States
By all means, do use your lawn clippings as mulch around your hedge and anywhere else in the garden that you can manage it. However grass clippings alone will not provide much of a weed barrier since grass is very adept at growing through its own dead foliage. Also grass clipping swill decompose quickly. As a better weed preventative mulch. Use cardboard, several layers thick, and then gracefully disguise it with coarse wood chips or bark. The cardboard canbe obtained from local vendors, or just save all your delivery boxes and such.
Once a year in Spring, rake away the wood chips and add another layer of cardboard.

Ask a Question