Thuja occidentalis - toxic essential oils

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
I had red that thuja occ. has toxic essential oils (I think it refers mainly, but not only, to thujone, which are not only toxic after taking oraly, but also after inhalation). It has been adviced to get rid of those plants from the garden, since they secrete oils nearby them.

My question is - is this true? Is secretion of plant high enough to couse problems?
I assume one small plant would be ok, but since their often grow as high, thick and long hedge, there must be high concentration of essential oils around them and polluted air will be transferred by windows to the house.

It has been also said that bees, birds and animals don't like thuja occ., but it is liked by ticks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I had red that thuja occ. has toxic essential oils (I think it refers mainly, but not only, to thujone, which are not only toxic after taking oraly, but also after inhalation). It has been adviced to get rid of those plants from the garden, since they secrete oils nearby them.

My question is - is this true? Is secretion of plant high enough to couse problems?
I assume one small plant would be ok, but since their often grow as high, thick and long hedge, there must be high concentration of essential oils around them and polluted air will be transferred by windows to the house.

It has been also said that bees, birds and animals don't like thuja occ., but it is liked by ticks.
You make it sound like Satan has a garden. Is it really that bad?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you're that worried, plant a gingko nearby as it is supposed to purify the air.

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
You make it sound like Satan has a garden. Is it really that bad?
That's what I want to know. I assume, that if ones has like 4 plants it's not a problem at all. But what if ones has 50 plants 3 meters high a couple of meters nearby windows. If every plant produce some oil into the air, you need to multiply it by 50 and this might be very high amount...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you think you can rely on the information about the negative impact that plant has, it might not be a good idea to have 50 of them. How about privet or cotoneaster?

Just how does the plant release essential oil? I thought there was an intense process extracting essential oils and that's why they are so dear!

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
If you think you can rely on the information about the negative impact that plant has, it might not be a good idea to have 50 of them. How about privet or cotoneaster?

Just how does the plant release essential oil? I thought there was an intense process extracting essential oils and that's why they are so dear!

Well, I need hedge which:

-would be green in winter (I'm leaving in Cetnral-West Europe btw)
-would be thick (to be a full barrier between the street view and the house, in one or two rows)
-would grow quite fast
-would be high (like 4-10 meters I think (not sure excatly), so I will not see cars from second floor when looking from the window)

Any ideas to fit it?

Considering oils secretion - I do not know, but extracting oil for production might be hard, which does not mean there is not much of it in the air...

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Thx, but I red that Laurel cannot hadle long frost, so it will not survive in my country. Winters are warmer these days due to greenhouse effect, but still...

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You could key in your zone hardiness and evergreen shrub to see what google has been paid for to throw up.

Ask a Question