Thorny hedge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am thinking to plant some thorny shrubs along my neighbor's fence. A couple of years ago he replaced his wooden fence but the new one is barely 1.50m high while the older was about 1.80, so now I have lost privacy and by law he is not obliged to make it higher. I asked him already a couple of times if he would do something but he does not care. Besides he now has got a cat that easily jumps the fence and use my garden as a toilette. I have tried most of the usual remedies but they won't really work. I think that a thorny hedge can stop the cat and will give me back my privacy at the same time. I would like to buy thorny shrubs that can be also decorative for the garden and that do not grow too thick as they may damage the neighbor's fence which is already in a bad condition. I was thinking to plant the shrubs 30-40cm from the fence and maintain it about 1.80-2m high and about 40cm thick. I like pyracantha but I am concerned it may grow too thick. What plant would you suggest is right for me?

Many thanks,

egit123

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Have you considered roses? There are varieties that reach 7' or more and are very prickly. Rosa Rugosa types are very hardy, thorny as all get-out, and don't need much maintenance (just the occasional pruning to keep them out of your way). I don't know your growing zone, but here in Texas, roses are pretty much green all year 'round. In mid-summer they lose some foliage, but still would make a screen.
Cat's Claw (which is rather ironic since you have a cat problem!) is incredibly thorny, and the thorns are curved, too! https://homeguides.sfgate.com/desert-cats-claw-tree-72893.html will tell you more about it. It might be available for you, and do okay in your climate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome egit123. :)

Marlinggardener's suggestion of Rosa Rugosa may prove a problem. They are a species rose which grow suckers - spreading quite a way from the original plants. This in turn means they will spread into your neighbours garden and probably cause friction between you.

Try checking out the various Berberis, some will grow taller than others and aren't quite as vigorous as the Rugosa's.

Another idea is to mount trellis on posts on your side of the fence and grow climbers.

db_Fencing_049.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Many thanks for all these ideas. I will look at them. I live in the UK so weather is ... wet and cold in winter so need to go for robust, low maintenance and evergreen plants.

egit123

Ask a Question