This is different

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_20200428_191750.jpg
IMG_20200428_191738.jpg

I feel odd but the water would not drain a shallow hole after 6 hours. What should I put in the forthcoming raised bed for knockouts? I think black kow manure compost is too rich since it appears 32 cubic feet will be needed, and that is more than a cubic yard.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 64034View attachment 64035

I feel odd but the water would not drain a shallow hole after 6 hours. What should I put in the forthcoming raised bed for knockouts? I think black kow manure compost is too rich since it appears 32 cubic feet will be needed, and that is more than a cubic yard.
After the water drained out of the hole did you refill the hole with water and time it again. No matter what you backfill with the hole is still there and the rate of drainage will not change. Anyway, since I can't eat roses I can't say much about them but this link sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Our soil drops about a half inch of water per hour. And these are not in the lowest spot. I have a goodly amount of hardwood sawdust. I may use some out of the garden walkways where rain has now mixed a little soil with it where I put it down for weeds.
IMG_20200429_082019.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't know Mr. Dirt. AFAIK rose bushes have a fairly robust root system and are susceptible to root rot . You will have to have a pretty tall raised bed to accommodate this, probably about 2 feet which would be more like a berm. But then I am not a rose type guy, I am more of a hot pepper guy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So is your soil hard-packed clay?

One problem I've heard using sawdust is that if you get the layer too thick, the small uniformity of the shavings will compact to the point of creating a barrier that is fairly effective at shutting down the transfer of air/water to and from the soil. However, maybe not such a big deal for you if you're using it as a walkway.

There are also cover crops that are supposedly good at breaking up hard-packed clay soils, one of which is Fava Beans, so I've heard.

The best time to lay down a bed of woodchips is 5-years ago; the second best time is NOW!! :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This clay is the famous Alabama clay. Oxygen is the problem followed by roots drowning across winter and spring. Under the plants is some organic fertilizer, tricho, and potting soil. The roots will anchor soon enough but the feeders have to be high above the clay. Even our trees root high or on top if the clay. This filler needs to be somewhat loose, and needs to drain. Beyond that anchoring the plant for wind is a main function.

Ask a Question