Sweet cherry tree needs different type for pollination?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
So I planted a bing cherry tree last year and bought another this year because I was told it needed another sweet cherry tree pollinator and that the same type of tree would work well now I am reading that it needs a different kind of sweet cherry tree to pollinate! Is this true??? I hope not I’m about out of space and energy for all these trees.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
So I planted a bing cherry tree last year and bought another this year because I was told it needed another sweet cherry tree pollinator and that the same type of tree would work well now I am reading that it needs a different kind of sweet cherry tree to pollinate! Is this true??? I hope not I’m about out of space and energy for all these trees.
Yes it needs a different one, sorry.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You could just buy yourself a container grown sweet cherry and place next to the two you have planted. However timing the blooming is very important and it may be too late. "Windsor cherry" would make a super pollinator for Bing as far as blooming times matching.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You could just buy yourself a container grown sweet cherry and place next to the two you have planted. However timing the blooming is very important and it may be too late. "Windsor cherry" would make a super pollinator for Bing as far as blooming times matching.

lol that is exactly what I did, my husband is picking it up right now and just gonna let it hang out beside the other ones this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
lol that is exactly what I did, my husband is picking it up right now and just gonna let it hang out beside the other ones this year.
Timewise, I hope the variety he bought is compatible. If it blooms too early or too late all is for naught.

Ask a Question