Different corse grass? Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello! I have a problem with my lawn, it’s full of different colour tufts of grass. I think they might be some sort of corse grass, but how do I get rid of them? You can see below the patchwork colours and a close up of the offending chunks.

Any advice on what it is or how to get rid of it would be greatly appreciated!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Don't think there's much you can do short of digging out the species you don't want in there.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afraid I'm not too fussy about grass. I like it as long as it's green, try not to cut it too short in case of drought, and use a mulching mower for natural feed.
It is a pleasure though to welcome you to the forum @Loneoak - I daresay a ''lawn person'' will be along to advise :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
That's possibly Couch grass and not easy to eradicate as it tends to put out running roots. It will spread elsewhere in your lawn or garden or self seed. You can try digging it out but it's unlikely you will succeed in getting rid of it completely, the only other way is to use weedkiller. As far as I know there isn't a lawn weedkiller that can be used and the only other alternative is a systemic killer that contains glyphosate but that will kill your lawn too, and any other plants it makes contact with. There is a form of Round-up (systemic killer) that can be painted on but there is still a risk to the surrounding lawn.

Ask a Question