The herbs and healing plants in our garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
One time, we were in the country and there was a farmer who was selling some herbs. We bought some for planting in our garden. So now we have some herbs scattered in our garden. But let me start with Pancit-pancitan. It is a herb that calms arthritic joints. Boil in water for drinking like tea. Here's the photo of that Pancit-pancitan which tastes like edible seaweeds.
IMG_4114 pancitan.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is great that you know about the plants in your area and their healing properties. In my area, we have a lot of stinging nettles, that make a nourishing tea if you boil them, but hurt a great deal when you rub up against them. Ironically they grow with ferns, and fern leaves offer relief from the sting when you rub the small pods on the underside against the affected area.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wonder if I can find it here in the US as this would be good to have and make tea for my mother. She has joint pain that is just horrendous and need to be on constant pain-med. I will Google it! Thanks for the information.

Reaction score
Amazing! I have heard you guys have access to herbs and edibles we can only dream of over here in the west! Like for example all those trees that yield those very exotic fruits and this pancit-pancit herb. I have never seen it before. Does it really help with arthritis?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's the first time when I see Pancit-pancitan:)
I love growing herbs! Just taking care of them and smelling them is very relaxing. I will buy a lot of basil and mint as soon as I move to the new apartment. Here, where I live now, all rooms are too dark for plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Here is another healing herb that is inhabiting our garden. It is called Tawa-tawa, a wild herb that can normally be found in prairies during the rainy season. They are not around during summer except in gardens like ours (they need regular irrigation). The Tawa-tawa herb is a cure for dengue. A glass of boiled tawa-tawa can stop the loss of platelets of a dengue patient. This was proven twice already as per our experience.

Here is the tawa-tawa herb...
IMG_4117 tawa2 B.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you for sharing so many interesting informations, Corzhens. Tawa-tawa is another herb that I've never seen in person. What does it smell like? It looks really nice in the picture:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm doing the same for my hubby that has ankylosing spondylitis
Ty for the info

Wonder if I can find it here in the US as this would be good to have and make tea for my mother. She has joint pain that is just horrendous and need to be on constant pain-med. I will Google it! Thanks for the information.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I was watching the Food Channel a while ago and there was this chef who was sprinkling some green thing on the slice of fish that looked like tuna. The green thing was basil. After covering the entire fish with basil bits, the chef puts the fish in the fridge. After 20 minutes, he placed it in a griller for cooking. That 20 minutes in the fridge is like marinating where the fish absorbs the flavor of the basil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm hoping to divide sections of my garden in the back into a cooking herb section and a medicinal herb section and start making my own spices, oils, and tinctures. Buying herbal remedies can be really expensive and I have to stay away from a lot of non-organic products because of dyes. It's another once of my lofty goals for when I get to feeling better.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I'm hoping to divide sections of my garden in the back into a cooking herb section and a medicinal herb section and start making my own spices, oils, and tinctures. Buying herbal remedies can be really expensive and I have to stay away from a lot of non-organic products because of dyes. It's another once of my lofty goals for when I get to feeling better.

Many cooking herbs are also medicinal herbs, I grow horse radish for 2 reason 1 for the root and 2 fort the flower but it has a lot of use from cooking, cosmetic to medicinal. All so Deer and rabbits don't like them so I can mix it into my flower beds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
I have lemon balm, basil and mint growing in my garden and mint is wonderful for stomach upsets or general stomach discomfort, I always brew up a cup if i'm feeling a little under the weather. Lemon balm is great for sore throats, and is very soothing and tasted refreshing! And basil is great as a mouthwash if you have tooth ache or an ulcer, have found it quite effective and soothing. Also, i have two older dogs and I cook their food for them so I know whats going in it and its great to add natural, fresh herbs for the taste and health benefits. One of my dogs will even help herself to the lemon balm, she loves the taste! :D

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I have all sorts of herbs growing in my garden. I use rosemary in my tea and for rice dishes. I have several others for various uses. I have a large Aloe plant too, that I often use on skin cuts.

Ask a Question