The 2017 Gardening Forums Sunflower Growing Competition!

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Was doing some weeding, went inside for 5 minutes came back out to discover a deer topping my sunflower row. She managed to leave me a few runts though..

View attachment 22719
I've had that happen a couple times this year, but we have no deer in the area. The squirrels are not brave enough to visit my sunflower plants, because they're too far from their safe haven (trees). I think it may be a raccoon or opossum. ...........:confused:

Reaction score
Country
United States
How is everyones flowers so big already? Iaways thought sunflowers were a late summer thing? I wish i would i have done it earlier! It's been almost 3 weeks and theyre only like 4 inches tall!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How is everyones flowers so big already
In my case, they are so big because I got really excited and planted some of them as far back as April. Then I ended up having to cover them up quite a few times to protect them from frost .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
In my case, they are so big because I got really excited and planted some of them as far back as April. Then I ended up having to cover them up quite a few times to protect them from frost .
Same here. I always start planting about March/April time frame, but this last winter was so mild I started in February.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My sunflowers enjoying the hot sunny weather today. How are everyone's flowers doing?

Attachments

• 20170630_163735.jpg
    20170630_163735.jpg
    283.4 KB · Views: 223

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How are everyone's flowers doing?

I quit. (n) Count me out. :( I regretfully withdraw my entry. :cry:

:cry: After the Horrible Slug Invasion from May 29, post 40... I did plant more, this time at the side of the house, where I had the first vegetable garden. (Better soil, more sun, hopefully less slugs...) I made sure I planted them toward the back, since the rain pours straight off the eaves on that side of the house. :cautious:

I'm not sure exactly how it happened, but when the edge of Tropical Storm Cindy moved through Ohio, they got rained flat. :( I didn't check them for a couple days, (the backyard was flooded...) by the time I did, there was no saving them. Every single one, flat on the ground. :confused:

:cry:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh no, sorry to hear that @MaryMary! :(

If we do this competition again next year, we may need to add a category for people where the sunflowers didn't make it to the competition date - a consolation prize!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If we do this competition again next year, we may need to add a category for people where the sunflowers didn't make it to the competition date - a consolation prize!

My mother used to call that the Pity Prize! :cautious: :ROFLMAO:

Want to adopt one of my back up plants? :)

Aw, zigs... :love: that is sweet of you. I doubt it would survive shipping and handling! ;) :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My mother used to call that the Pity Prize! :cautious: :ROFLMAO:

Aw, zigs... :love: that is sweet of you. I doubt it would survive shipping and handling! ;) :)

You can look after it remotely, I'll keep you posted :D

Here's my main one :)
DSCI0007.JPG

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I realize it's the first of July, but I think I will plant more, just to see what happens next! :rolleyes:

Wonder how the next ones will meet their demise? :cautious: (Sigh.)

You can look after it remotely,
Ok, randomly pick one! :D

Ask a Question