The 2017 Gardening Forums Sunflower Growing Competition!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's competition time! :D

After the success of last year's sunflower growing competition, we decided to have another competition but this time with MORE PRIZES!

Prizes will be awarded for the following:
  • Tallest sunflower
  • Biggest bloom
  • Most number of blooms on a single stem
  • Most charismatic! Something that makes us smile :)
The winner of each category will be awarded their very own Gardening Forums mug! This is what they will look like:

preview.jpg

Here are the rules:
  • Members with more than 50 posts at the time of the draw (31 August 2017) can enter.
  • The choice of seed variety is up to you, as long as it is a member of the helianthus genus.
  • Feel free to plant more than one if you like!
  • You can plant your sunflower(s) in the ground or in a pot.
  • You have until 31st August to submit a photo of your sunflower, together with the measurement. When taking a photo of your sunflower you must make sure to write your Gardening Forums username on a piece of paper and feature it in the photo.
  • You can enter more than one prize category, but you can only win one prize. Prizes are awarded in the order listed above - for example if you grew the tallest sunflower with the biggest bloom, you would win the prize for tallest sunflower but not biggest bloom. The prize for biggest bloom would go to the next person in that category.
  • Most charismatic sunflower will be judged by the admin team - @Becky and @Ian.
  • The winners will be announced on 1st September 2017, and the mugs will be sent to you by post.
Feel free to keep everyone updated with your progress in this topic.

Good luck everyone! :D

Gardening Forums Sunflower Competition.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh Poo! That leaves me out. One I grow is not in that genus, and the other one 'Helianthus maximiliana Santa Fe' doesn't come into it's own til early fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oh Poo! That leaves me out. One I grow is not in that genus, and the other one 'Helianthus maximiliana Santa Fe' doesn't come into it's own til early fall.

I won for the tallest one last year and I didn't even plant any! It came up... Probably from the bird feeder, a bird dropped or pooped out a seed. It was over eight feet tall.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom

Do they have seed shops on long island? :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh we have everything on LI zigs. Are you trying to force me into buying sf seeds?
Hmm, come to think of it, there is a nice pub right next to the garden center. :whistle:

:D Any excuse :LOL:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in if I get my posts up by then! Sure I will ;)
Better get the seeds out of those packets :):)

Ask a Question