The 2017 Gardening Forums Sunflower Growing Competition!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I cheated, well sort of. I bought mine already started, three varieties. A farm near me has thousands of sunflowers growing along the edge of a field, about a quarter mile. So I thought I would recreate that along a portion of my front fence. Hopefully next year they will just reseed if the birds don't get them all.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Go real Russian sunflower go!

Oh, @Beth_B !!!
cc2.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I was in my driveway and all of a sudden I hear a loud thump in my garden, thinking what could that be, since it was just a few feet from me in my garden where nothing big is erected:confused:

I looked around and saw a seed head from one of my large sunflowers which is approximately 10ft tall laying on the ground.

This seed-head has a diameter of 12 inches and weighs just under 5-pounds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I took these today in the back yard, I like the top picture very much. The picture below it gives perspective. I have some other garden pictures I took that I'll be posting in another thread.

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0052.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Mine is still 4 inches tall and that is the tallest! What hope have I got???:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Some nice biggins there!

Oh Sunflower gods, I call upon thee to watch over my poor little flowers. May you part the skies and bring light to them on shady days. :p

Seriously though mine are only a foot tall, looking pretty limp too. @alp I feel ya.

It's quiet in here, a little too quiet. People must be strategizing :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I had some visitors to my Sunflowers today :) My daughter is an Ornithologist of sorts and she was surprised at the finches eating the sunflower leaves. The birds also snack on seeds from the Cosmos and Bachelor Buttons, but this is the Sunflower thread.

IMG_0201.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG

IMG_0302.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I wonder if the bird is eating insects on the leaves and the bits of leaves being eaten is just consequential?

My old sunflower plants attract tons of insects, especially after they have long-past bloomed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Was doing some weeding, went inside for 5 minutes came back out to discover a deer topping my sunflower row. She managed to leave me a few runts though..

IMG_20170619_113944.jpg

Ask a Question