The 2017 Gardening Forums Sunflower Growing Competition!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm guessing this is the tallest flower I'll be getting, so I went ahead and got some picture with my forum name in it! I hope everyone else's are going well.

Attachments

• IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    243.6 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0248.JPG
    IMG_0248.JPG
    346.1 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0250.JPG
    IMG_0250.JPG
    233.1 KB · Views: 200
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry for the poor lighting. I took this in the evening just before the thunderstorm and right before i started weeding. There are 4 here. The 1 in front is my largest. Also have several around my fence line! I love sunflowers! I lost a few this year, but I would say i have a little less than a dozen doing really well. Hope they bloom soon!!

Attachments

• 0724172037a.jpg
    0724172037a.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 185

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@KKosy87, good to hear from you! :) You hadn't posted for so long, I was starting to wonder if you had left us! Speaking of posting, get out there and make a few! :D

Members with more than 50 posts at the time of the draw (31 August 2017) can enter.

@zigs, how is MaryMary Sunflower doing? And Larisa Sunflower? And Zigs Sunflower? :unsure:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Country
United States
Anyone have suggestions on how to keepcants off the leaves? I picked one fiarly yellow one off because it was crawling with ants and didnt want it to spread. I had the same problem last year and just lived with it. It looks so nasty to flip the beautiful green leaves over and find them covered in ants and bugs!

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wow, @Larisa! That's a big Boatswain!! :) Glad to see he "weathered the storm!" (y)

Anyone have suggestions on how to keepcants off the leaves?....snip..... It looks so nasty to flip the beautiful green leaves over and find them covered in ants and bugs!

Ants and bugs? Are the bugs aphids, and the ants are farming them? If they look like the ones pictured in this link, that's probably what is happening.

https://www.google.com/search?q=aph...ht7PVAhUK3IMKHRDfCKoQ_AUICigB&biw=917&bih=483

If it is, get a water bottle that you can set to "stream" and spray them off with water that has a little dish soap in it. :)

Ask a Question