The 2017 Gardening Forums Sunflower Growing Competition!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about that, @Chuck. I can relate. We have a big deer problem here, too. We wound up putting up a welded wire fence all around our backyard to keep them away from our gardens. The fencing has 1" x 2" openings which keep the rabbits out too...and, we ran a 2 foot wide piece all around the perimeter on the ground to keep the wood chucks from digging underneath the fence. They all can have the rest of our property, but not our gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about that, @Chuck. I can relate. We have a big deer problem here, too. We wound up putting up a welded wire fence all around our backyard to keep them away from our gardens. The fencing has 1" x 2" openings which keep the rabbits out too...and, we ran a 2 foot wide piece all around the perimeter on the ground to keep the wood chucks from digging underneath the fence. They all can have the rest of our property, but not our gardens.
If I had the money I'd do the same thing except for armadillos instead of wood chucks.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I won't enter the contest because I really have done nothing, not even planting the seeds, but I have a fun to look at jungle of them.lol

You don't have to have done anything!! :) The winner last year was a volunteer from under a bird feeder. (y) It came up in @Beth_B's asparagus patch.

The deer just ate all of mine.

Sorry to hear that, Chuck. (n)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The deer just ate all of mine. I was waiting to photograph them next week when they would have been a little bigger. Oh well, maybe next year.
I also had a great crop of okra but not anymore. They ate everything still growing and green in one night. There must have been a dozen or more of the damn things

Oh no! I would be so upset! Stupid squirrels dug up all my thyme I had been growing. Just destroyed it. I almost cried lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
About 12 feet tall and 1 foot wide bloom!
6683.jpeg
6684.jpeg
0817171839a.jpg
0813171051_HDR.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Getting close to cut off date but still growing.

Staking system.
Stake .jpg

5.6 foot ladder for reference
Latter ref.jpg

11.5 feet. Hard to display measurement for the full picture but ladder is left in pic for reference.
Full.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
I feel as though I might be in the running for tallest. Quick update, almost pushing 12 feet!. It started to lean badly and I devised further staking measures in haste... had to double stake the top, it was swaying ridiculously with the winds.
IMG_20170828_201215.jpg
IMG_20170828_201304.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Great work everyone :D

Remember, entries need to be in by the end of the 31st, which is only a couple of days away. So if you've not entered already, be sure to get it in before then :).

There's a prize for the following categories, so be sure to get all your measurements included in your post (it's fine to update these in subsequent posts closer to the time, if it still grows):
  • Tallest sunflower
  • Biggest bloom
  • Most number of blooms on a single stem
Here's a quick reminder of the rules:

• Members with more than 50 posts at the time of the draw (31 August 2017) can enter.
  • The choice of seed variety is up to you, as long as it is a member of the helianthus genus.
  • Feel free to plant more than one if you like!
  • You can plant your sunflower(s) in the ground or in a pot.
  • You have until 31st August to submit a photo of your sunflower, together with the measurement. When taking a photo of your sunflower you must make sure to write your Gardening Forums username on a piece of paper and feature it in the photo.
  • You can enter more than one prize category, but you can only win one prize. Prizes are awarded in the order listed above - for example if you grew the tallest sunflower with the biggest bloom, you would win the prize for tallest sunflower but not biggest bloom. The prize for biggest bloom would go to the next person in that category.
  • Most charismatic sunflower will be judged by the admin team - @Becky and @Ian.
  • The winners will be announced on 1st September 2017, and the mugs will be sent to you by post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I've started beheading my sunflowers and sticking them up in my Mountain Ash tree for the Chickadees to pick away at. I'll see today if there's one I might enter yet.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It's such fun looking at you lot marking your territories.. Shame, @johnny canoe I thought you posted some photos here.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I've started beheading my sunflowers and sticking them up in my Mountain Ash tree for the Chickadees to pick away at. I'll see today if there's one I might enter yet.

Go for it, there's nothing to lose :D.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Ok here's my entry for tallest. 12.1 feet. (12 and a half ladder rungs)
A few pics for reference.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Ground is a bit uneven because I had back filled it. Otherwise it would be a bit taller.
4.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Ask a Question