Surprised about lawns

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm new to this site and was surprised to read the threads about lawns. Given the issues of our changing climate putting a lot of water and effort into an non-native garden feature -- like a lawn--is surprising! I have a large patio behind my home and a sideyard that I've let re-wild. In front, it's typical desert gardening: a few bushes that flower during the monsoon and rock mulch. I am a Master Gardener and have a website about gardening in a hot dry climate, including pages devoted to replacing lawns. Anyone else replacing their lawn?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
an non-native garden feature -- like a lawn
This is an international site, but I do have some idea what you mean ...

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I'm new to this site and was surprised to read the threads about lawns.
You won't see my name on those threads. I completely oppose the use of high nitrogen fertilizers on lawns as well as the watering and all the other chemicals people use to earn "the yard of the month". Not an award I would ever strive for, nor respect.

I have never understood pouring chemicals and water onto a non-native grass to make it grow more and grow greener simply to be required to mow it more frequently. Never has made sense to me. Some people admire those green lawns...not me because I know what it requires to get that look.

So, I just refrain from posting on those lawn threads...because my views of it might be considered radical :)

Welcome to this forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm new to this site and was surprised to read the threads about lawns. Given the issues of our changing climate putting a lot of water and effort into an non-native garden feature -- like a lawn--is surprising! I have a large patio behind my home and a sideyard that I've let re-wild. In front, it's typical desert gardening: a few bushes that flower during the monsoon and rock mulch. I am a Master Gardener and have a website about gardening in a hot dry climate, including pages devoted to replacing lawns. Anyone else replacing their lawn?
Nope. If you need to hear me say I have trees around the house instead of grass, I can not only say yes but also can say "screw google" since you cannot see the roof because of the canopy. But there is a dark side. This rush to get natural brings with it every single thing we build houses to get away from. Bugs, fungi, falling limbs and trees for a start. Grass gives a usable space and that is important. Also, if you want to reclaim barren soil the grasses are probably THE place to start. Living in the woods has its moments. Both of happiness and terror.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You won't see my name on those threads. I completely oppose the use of high nitrogen fertilizers on lawns as well as the watering and all the other chemicals people use to earn "the yard of the month". Not an award I would ever strive for, nor respect.

I have never understood pouring chemicals and water onto a non-native grass to make it grow more and grow greener simply to be required to mow it more frequently. Never has made sense to me. Some people admire those green lawns...not me because I know what it requires to get that look.

So, I just refrain from posting on those lawn threads...because my views of it might be considered radical :)

Welcome to this forum.
Where I live -- Tucson--we draw some water from the ground, but also import water from the Colorado river which is hundreds of miles from here. With the Colorado drying up, water restrictions are already in place and the city council is soon voting on banning grass gardens in front yards. In the older parts of the city it's no problem. People rarely ever planted lawn, but in the newer housing developments on the southside, developers and homeowners planted grass. Now they get to remove it.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Where I live -- soon voting on banning grass gardens in front yards.
Now that's what I'm talking about! The foolishness of using precious water resources and harmful chemicals on a lawn is just beyond me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nope. If you need to hear me say I have trees around the house instead of grass, I can not only say yes but also can say "screw google" since you cannot see the roof because of the canopy. But there is a dark side. This rush to get natural brings with it every single thing we build houses to get away from. Bugs, fungi, falling limbs and trees for a start. Grass gives a usable space and that is important. Also, if you want to reclaim barren soil the grasses are probably THE place to start. Living in the woods has its moments. Both of happiness and terror.
A lot of drought-tolerant trees are being planted here. Our mayor has set a goal of a million trees by 2030. Grass however does not naturally thrive in our desert climate. Some grasses spring up during the monsoon, but then die back within days. I wrote a post about grasses that can do with little water, like Buffalo grass, but for some reason the moderator must have deleted it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A lot of drought-tolerant trees are being planted here. Our mayor has set a goal of a million trees by 2030. Grass however does not naturally thrive in our desert climate. Some grasses spring up during the monsoon, but then die back within days. I wrote a post about grasses that can do with little water, like Buffalo grass, but for some reason the moderator must have deleted it.
Ever heard of the guy that started Churches Chicken resturants and how he reclaimed Texas scrub lands? I will see if I can find the vid. Fascinating cycle as he demonstrates it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings my friend. So you are a Master gardener. Congratulations. With the greatest respect. May I ask you to open up and explain, your qualifications. Baring in mind. This website/forum caters for a wide range or supporters, from. 'OOps, I should have read the seed packet instructions to, perhaps the more horticultural academic status. I look forward to conversing with you.

Ask a Question