Tired old Lawns

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we run a small landscaping business in the south west and I've been a qualified Horticulturist for over thirty years, recently dealing with numerous domestic gardens. Recently we've noticed many lawns are looking very tired and poor so have been on the hunt for a decent environmentally friendly tonic to perk them up.After speaking to our friends at pitchcare in Telford, we've decided to use a product called sea action which is a totally organic sea weed product, what's great about it is that you don't need to be too precise with the dilution rate and it can be used as a tonic as well as a monthly feed, also you can water all your plants with it, it really works very well and is also used by professional bodies. Hope this info may be helpful to anyone with lawn probs. Good luckRobert

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Liquid seaweed has been around for years. We organic gardeners use it for a variety of reasons, from slowing down spider mites to an additive in compost tea. I am not familiar with this particular brand, Sea Action, but cold sea water sea weed is the main ingredient in all seaweed additives I am familiar with. Its got lots of trace minerals needed for plant growth and should be used religiously throughout the entire garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks Chuck, you are absolutely right in what you say,sea weed fertilisers have been around for years, the product which I mentioned in my post has been modified( for want of a better word) removing all particles so is particularly useful in precision and knapsack sprayers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Chuck, you are absolutely right in what you say,sea weed fertilisers have been around for years, the product which I mentioned in my post has been modified( for want of a better word) removing all particles so is particularly useful in precision and knapsack sprayers.
The products over here are a concentrate and particle free, about the consistency of water. You use 2 oz per gallon of water. It is a dark brown color usually. We don't use it as a "fertilizer" per se, as it has very very little NPK. What we, in Texas anyway, mainly use it for is for all of the trace minerals and elements it has. That, and the fact that it toughens up a plants "skin", so to speak, that deters insects from chewing through the outer layer of the plants leaf surface.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
That's interesting Chuck, yes I read that it toughens up the outer cell walls of plants thus making them pest and disease resistant, well helping to do so anyway.Here in the United Kingdom the product is only relatively recently been so refined, we use to use calcified sea weed which is granules. I prefer the liquid as it can't be picked up by wild birds which we like to encourage to our gardens

Ask a Question