wild flower lawns / mini medows

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I'll say it - I follow the trends. Ask Mrs. Yan, I'm a slave to fashion. Well in Mrs. Yan's words I'm not even an acquaintance of fashion.

But now I'm reading about the growing trend in wild lawns and wildflower lawns and meadow lawns.

I have a few areas which have been a problem to mow over the last year and don't grow grass well anyway. These areas are full sun, far from easy hose access to hit with a sprinkler, and have had the soil ruined in the last few years by turning over the sandy subsoil while installing concrete work.

So:
  • Not easy to pamper
  • Terrible soil
  • Full sun
  • Grass isn't growing or growing well anyway
How about wild flower mix? Then, more or less, forget about it.

Any major downsides I'm missing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a big fan of mixed species lawns. They're more visually interesting and better for the environment. Environmentally, they increase diversity of plants and invertebrates including pollinators., Also not trying to maintain a monoculture of lawn grass means less or no fertilizer, pesticide, and herbicide application. depending on your needs the lawn can be no-mow, high-mow, or low-mow. Of course, the best mix of species will vary, depending on your climate, soil, light, and water regime. I think you should do it.

Ask a Question