Pope lawns.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
My country is known to have the habit of last minute rush whenever an important visitor is visiting. Recently, we had pope visiting so there were last minute rush to plant grass around the areas where he would visit. The nicknamed them the 'pope lawns'. A funny name when you think about it right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I love the name "pope lawns"! When we lived in town the then-president of the USA visited for the annual 4th of July parade. Places that hadn't seen a street cleaner nor a clean-up crew in years were suddenly pristine!

Reaction score
I'd love to see a picture of those lawns, Charlie :) The pope is now visiting cd. juarez, Mexico. I'd not be surprised to hear they did everything they could to beautify every place they know he'd be visiting. Pope Francis is a really cool guy though (I'm not catholic), he doesn't seem to be like the others, I mean, he does seem to like to live with humility.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
'Pope lawns' is a very funny name:D
I've dreamed about visiting Kenya ever since I read Out Of Africa by Karen Blixen. It must be a beautiful place:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I too had to laugh at this! I think a lot of countries probably do this when an important visitor is coming - religious leaders, dignitaries from other countries - it's all about making somewhere look the part, right?!

I would love to see a picture of the lawns, too!

Ask a Question