Clover lawns

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I like it in my yard, but it simply does not last long in the heat. It returns every spring to add N2 to the soil along with its white flowers before disappearing again.

Yours might last longer in Nebraska. It grows best during cool, moist weather on well-drained, fertile soils with a pH between 6 and 7 . It is a low growth plant that isn't usually found in pure stands. Makes high-quality pastures in mixture with a grass which is very beneficial to me in ranching.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

White Clover (Trifolium repens) makes a great addition to a multi-species lawn, or tapestry lawn. Meadowlark is right that it wil increase and decrease seasonally, but if it is mixed with grass and other low herbaceous plants the lawn can remain green and diverse year-round. What particularly attracts you to White clover? Is it the look of it or the benefit to honeybees?

Yom

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

White Clover (Trifolium repens) makes a great addition to a multi-species lawn, or tapestry lawn. Meadowlark is right that it wil increase and decrease seasonally, but if it is mixed with grass and other low herbaceous plants the lawn can remain green and diverse year-round. What particularly attracts you to White clover? Is it the look of it or the benefit to honeybees?
Big bonus would be the bees, but I read the white clover doesn't get as tall.

Reaction score
Country
United States
White Clover (Trifolium repens) is a wonderful bee plant. It doesn't get as tall as some other plants, though there are plants that stay even lower. Are you interested in reducing the chore of mowing? There are certainly styles of lawn that are only mowed once or twice a year. The concept of 'no-mow' also exists, though this begins to segue into being a meadow, which is wonderful setting in its own right.

Yom

Reaction score
Country
United States
White Clover (Trifolium repens) is a wonderful bee plant. It doesn't get as tall as some other plants, though there are plants that stay even lower. Are you interested in reducing the chore of mowing? There are certainly styles of lawn that are only mowed once or twice a year. The concept of 'no-mow' also exists, though this begins to segue into being a meadow, which is wonderful setting in its own right.
Ya I live on about 2 1/2 acre farm and looking reduce mowing, feeding bees and reduce watering. I love to her your ideas.

Ask a Question