How to prevent clover and wild onion from ruining my lawn?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone! Does anyone have ideas on how I can prevent clover and wild green onion from growing? I've tried to pick near the root of the clover but there are so much grass around it that it's becoming a nearly impossible task. Is there an easier way?

lawn.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic, yes I believe so based on only photos I've seen of similar grass which narrows at the tip. It's a cool season grass as I'm in Northern California, if that's helpful

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I will spot seed grass during the fall but frankly picking up leaves means ruining a lot of grass seed for me so I wait. When the weather has a warm stretch coming I can seed. Here, February is really the coldest month but about 30 days prior to the spring equinox plants really start taking off again so I try to have seed down prior, but not in frozen grounds of course. You can almost hear it go "WHOMP" when the fescue pops up. My problem is our overly hot summer. If I do not get the seed in early enough the roots will not mature for summer heat and drought, and it's the dormant time for fescue so the cool season yard suffers. But we have warm season grass as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The best way to get rid of weeds and other undesirables is REGULAR and FREQUENT mowing, thus stopping new seeds from sprouting. Sure, you can use pre-emergents, digging out by hand and herbicides, but these means are usually a futile effort.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for all the advice! I'll mow first, some of the weeds if I can, and wait until the Spring to seed. For the wild green onion, is there a better approach than trying to dig up the root? If so, I'm imagining patches across the lawn that will need to be seeded in the Spring as well

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
A different view...clovers like you pictured are terrific soil builders. Go back months later when the clover has long gone and see how green the area is where it was growing. There's a reason for that. For me, the natural clover is far more valuable than lawn grass...but that's just my view.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A different view...clovers like you pictured are terrific soil builders. Go back months later when the clover has long gone and see how green the area is where it was growing. There's a reason for that. For me, the natural clover is far more valuable than lawn grass...but that's just my view.
Yes -clover seed is literally quite expensive!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think the "clover" is an Oxalis (Bermuda Buttercup). VERY difficult to get rid of and not a Nitrogen fixer. Turflon ester slows it down and will burn the garlic/onion as well. It will take multiple applications and dedication to control or eliminate. Be prepared for the long haul!

Ask a Question