Preventing people from parking on my lawn

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
We are removing these plants in the middle, and replacing it with grass. Right now, my lawn looks dead, but I’m going to work really hard to get it green and full, but I’m afraid that once I remove those plants, people will park there (has happened) and it will make the lawn look even more uglier with bald spots. What are some ways to prevent people from parking on your lawn?

5397E5D5-DBA4-4905-B66C-F6534DB814CC.jpeg
13A7FC2A-A66F-4C47-997C-444B88B7A75B.jpeg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You're going to need something permanent, that they won't want to drive over. Railroad ties? A couple of boulders that would make a nice feature in your yard? Maybe you could put a birdbath there? Or some shepherd's hooks with bird feeders?

Oooh, what about one section of fencing? Then you could use it as a trellis for something pretty! (Wood fencing, if that is more your style. I saw these first. :D.)

th
th

Or a piece of lattice to use as a fence...

th
th
th
th
th

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Why would that make you sound like a loser? :confused:

As long as they are big enough that they look at them and see potential damage to their car, then I would think they wouldn't drive on them! (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I like the idea of a couple of boulders--something about 2 1/2' high and big enough and light colored enough to be seen at night. Lattice, bird feeders or baths, a section of fencing are not threatening enough to paintwork or a car's body to prevent some idiot from parking on your lawn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Why would that make you sound like a loser? :confused:

Lol. Because you gave such cool ideas with fencing and bird baths; and I thought of...rocks! :D

I have a few large white rocks, but they are kind of ugly. I will see what nicer rocks I can find. Thank you everyone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
My first thought was rocks too, but logs would also work well (and cheaper too) (y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Same here! Big Boulder or rocks of irregular shapes. But why not leave the plants. If I were you, I would plant some cotoneaster as it's supposed to improve air quality. Nothing wrong with those green there, in my humble opinion. Why not some perennials? Grass is so boring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Big rocks are expensive to buy if you aren't near a quarry and can collect them yourself.

You could check with the local council to see if they've any surplus broken paving slabs. Many councils are changing road-side pavements to tarma,c as cars parked "two wheels up on the pavement" are breaking them usually in half..

Bury them in a row end-on with about 9" showing, that should deter anyone from trying to park there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have literally hauled my car jack over to my FIL's house to jack a car off his round rocks at both side of his drive entrance. They were about 12 inches and a car would roll right up on them when it got into his grass lifting the tires into the air.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
I had exactly the same problem as the OP, and used two big boulders to prevent people parking. Mine not only came free, they were put into place by the guy that had them. Weighing in at a ton or so each, he had to! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lrg Garden wood carvings perhaps......if a way of fixing them could be achieved and theft prevention looked at.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Lrg Garden wood carvings perhaps......if a way of fixing them could be achieved and theft prevention looked at.

I'm surprised you had to buy compost and mulch. Why not put in an advert in freecycle to ask for them. Even I managed to get about a car load of wood chips from a guy up the road who needed space in his garage! I even gave a bucket to a friend who live up the road.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Around our area people tend to put a series of rocks along the front edge of the lawn. They don't need to be big to be a deterrent. Something about 1ft high and 1ft wide is sufficient. It's fairly normal to then just paint them white (makes them visible in the dark as well) and they look quite good as a border to the lawn. (y)

It's usually quite easy to get rocks that size and they're not heavy and are easy to transport.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It looks like, from the OP's picture, that the car is not parked on the lawn, but rather what's referred to as a property easement; laws regarding easements vary. You might want to look up the local ordinances in your area before you decide on how to deter parking.

Ask a Question