Azaleas good for preventing erosion?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
The front of my house is very sloped and I am looking to plant some azaleas along the front of the house to prevent erosion. I will be laying mulch as well and wanted to make sure azaleas have a good root system to support the ground. I am a first-time homeowner and could use any advice. If you would recommend another plant, let me know. Thanks.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum, Al P!! :)

An azaleas root system is very shallow, typically extending only about a foot below the surface. You're going to want something that will anchor itself to the ground with a much deeper root system.

Any recommendations for a better plant is going to depend on your plant hardiness zone. Do you need something to survive a cold winter? Will it need to survive a hot summer? :confused:

If you do not know your zone, it can be found here:
https://www.gardening-forums.com/pages/hardiness-zone/
Once you've found your zone, you can enter it in your user profile page (here)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I appreciate the help. It looks like I am in 7a. What plants would be good to plant for this zone to prevent erosion?

Welcome to the forum, Al P!! :)

An azaleas root system is very shallow, typically extending only about a foot below the surface. You're going to want something that will anchor itself to the ground with a much deeper root system.

Any recommendations for a better plant is going to depend on your plant hardiness zone. Do you need something to survive a cold winter? Will it need to survive a hot summer? :confused:

If you do not know your zone, it can be found here:
https://www.gardening-forums.com/pages/hardiness-zone/
Once you've found your zone, you can enter it in your user profile page (here)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Vinca, bishops weed (can get pesky and invasive but sturdy and grows fast), ajuga.
How much sun does your hilly hill get?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Vinca, bishops weed (can get pesky and invasive but sturdy and grows fast), ajuga.
How much sun does your hilly hill get?

It is in direct sunlight for most of the day. No obstructions. If the plant could grow to a height of 4-5 ft it would also be helpful. Check out the picture of the slope. Let me know if anybody has a good suggestion to which plant would help with erosion but be tall enough to level it with the brick portion of the house.

front_zpsyporiag1.png

Last edited:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Now that I see a picture, how wide is that area? Most plants that are going to get 5' tall are going to have a wider base. Is there room for a 3-4' wide plant there? Since you want it that tall, are you trying to cover the brick?

I read a bit on landscaping to prevent erosion, and it seems that native plants are the best way to go - the taproots tend to go deeper than cultivated plants. Not only that, but they will be naturally adapted to your soil conditions and rainfall, so less maintenance! (y)

It also seems best to use plants with a deep taproot interspersed with plants that have many shallow roots. As the roots mesh together, the deeper roots with hold down the shallower roots. :DThink of it like nailing a net over it. :LOL:

I'm going to suggest clumps of ornamental grasses, with a low groundcover between them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is in direct sunlight for most of the day. No obstructions. If the plant could grow to a height of 4-5 ft it would also be helpful. Check out the picture of the slope. Let me know if anybody has a good suggestion to which plant would help with erosion but be tall enough to level it with the brick portion of the house.

front_zpsyporiag1.png
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Seeing the photograph in the 5th Post and knowing that the site is in Full sun is important information.

Many types of sun plants would work well in this situation and regular application of a shredded bark mulch would go a long way towards reducing erosion. It would also be good to construct several low terraces, especially where the slope gets steeper near the corner of the house. None of the retaining walls need be very tall, heavy stones or landscaping bricks would work. These terraces will provide flatter areas for plants to anchor and for water to settle into the soil, rather than roll down slope.

Either deciduous or evergreen Azaleas (Rhododendron species or hybrids) could work in this site, but there are many more drought-tolerant plant choices for a full sun situation.

Ask a Question