How to prevent squirrels from fruit trees?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
I just caught a squirrel eating my guava fruit red handed this morning. Can you suggest ways to keep it away from my fruit trees please? I prefer natural ways

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There have been novels posted on this forum about this very thing. Nothing except extermination really works. I think most that have cured the problem use a pellet gun. Myself, I use either a 12 guage or a .22. Or you can chop down all of the surrounding trees.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How about making the squirrels a lovely playground, incorporating super duper tasty alternative foods to tempt them away from your guavas...
1571684309800.png
Some years ago my brother in law made such a playground for the squirrels in his garden - he made all kinds of ''puzzles'' for them to work out how to reach the tasty stuff inside, and spent more time watching these animals, than watching his tv.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
You need to put something around the trunk of the tree that they can't climb over.
Like, adapt a large plastic upturned pot saucer. Put it in a position on the trunk where they can't jump up onto it.
"Anti-climb paint," added would be a further deterent.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All they need is some TLC and something to occupy their minds
1571685775396.png
... ... ...:sneaky:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We feed "our squirrel," but only enough to sustain it for a day. So it's mealworms and suet pellets. Stopped giving it peanuts, it just buried them in the lawn and they always forget where.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Taxidermy as TLC?
I have no real issue with squirrels apart from when they steal the strawberries, and apples. However my new neighbour has decided they are cute and should be fed peanuts. She puts these in an open fronted bird box just above the fence, problem is squirrels are messy and drop peanuts. The local badgers get a whiff of these and start to dig under fence demolishing dry stone wall below fence. Stopping squirrels is one thing, but a badger on the trail of a peanut is another problem altogether.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10A
Country
United States
I’m planning to plant peppermint about 1 foot around the base of my fruit trees since it’s recommended to fertilize 1 foot away from the base trunk of the fruit trees anyway.

it serves two purposes. I eat peppermint with noodle soup and hopefully it will keep squirrels away because of the smell

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Put poison on the tree honey, pure n simple. Nothing else works trust me, I have an orchard it used to be bare because of the squirles but I just rubbed some rat poisoning all around the trunks and now my orchard is perfect. You could also try bear traps but if you have children or pets that’s a no go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Put poison on the tree honey, pure n simple. Nothing else works trust me, I have an orchard it used to be bare because of the squirles but I just rubbed some rat poisoning all around the trunks and now my orchard is perfect. You could also try bear traps but if you have children or pets that’s a no go.
what kind of poison? Do your squirrels chew on the trunk?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The squirrels here MIGHT chew on limb tips or very small limbs but they will destroy an entire crop of fruit.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The squirrels here MIGHT chew on limb tips or very small limbs but they will destroy an entire crop of fruit.

so why don’t u poison them? If they don’t chew on trunk in your neck of the woods you could put a couple poison apples at the base of the tree. Gotta beat the squirrel to the nut hunny.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
so why don’t u poison them? If they don’t chew on trunk in your neck of the woods you could put a couple poison apples at the base of the tree. Gotta beat the squirrel to the nut hunny.
Don't have many apples in Texas but we do have a lot of peaches, plums and citrus. They take a bite or two out of a fruit and knock it to the ground and leave it there. They never take another bite out of it. Ingestible poisons don't work here. I was hoping you knew of some kind of contact poison. Commercial nut growers here hire people to come into their orchards and hunt the things.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't have many apples in Texas but we do have a lot of peaches, plums and citrus. They take a bite or two out of a fruit and knock it to the ground and leave it there. They never take another bite out of it. Ingestible poisons don't work here. I was hoping you knew of some kind of contact poison. Commercial nut growers here hire people to come into their orchards and hunt the things.

ohh dear that’s terrible, I know that feelin. I don’t know of any kind of contact poison, I just do it the old fashion way like grampy did. I don’t have the patience for shootin or trapping them.

Ask a Question