How to prevent squirrels from fruit trees?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
ohh dear that’s terrible, I know that feelin. I don’t know of any kind of contact poison, I just do it the old fashion way like grampy did. I don’t have the patience for shootin or trapping them.
It is a long slow process getting rid of them all by shooting them but, it is the only way to almost completely eradicate them. When I first bought the land where I am now 25 years ago it was undeveloped land and I had no idea how many squirrels there actually were. I have no idea how many I have shot but it has to be in the 100's and I still see them often and shoot one every time I see one. At least I can keep them from my peach orchard now, but I had to cut down all of the trees within 100 feet. Now it is coons and possums I have to fight to get a peach.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It is a long slow process getting rid of them all by shooting them but, it is the only way to almost completely eradicate them. When I first bought the land where I am now 25 years ago it was undeveloped land and I had no idea how many squirrels there actually were. I have no idea how many I have shot but it has to be in the 100's and I still see them often and shoot one every time I see one. At least I can keep them from my peach orchard now, but I had to cut down all of the trees within 100 feet. Now it is coons and possums I have to fight to get a peach.
[/QUOt

I’m sure you also get something out of it. Have you ever made squirrel pie? It’s a Shepard’s pie recipe except with squirrel. It’s simple and delicious. Yes ohh my I know all about the coons and possums they are knowledgable on my poisons too. They only come out at night, I also have started putting barb wire round my trunks to insure they don’t get the goods.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have eaten squirrel in just about every way possible. Nothing better than a young fried squirrel with bisquits and gravy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It seems to me that the motto here is - if it moves and breathes - KILL it. When all this poison is chucked around all over the place do you ever consider what else you might be killing?

Reaction score
Country
United States
It seems to me that the motto here is - if it moves and breathes - KILL it. When all this poison is chucked around all over the place do you ever consider what else you might be killing?

there ain’t nothing wrong with the good old fashioned way off getting rid of pests. I’ll poison a squirrel, snake, rabbits, I’m about to do it to the cats now cus they are getting to be bad. I didn’t want it to come to that but sorry my crops are more important.

Ask a Question