Clover

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
I have some nice patches of clover in my lawn. And I have some dead areas in my lawn.

Would this crazy idea work?

Use my tulip bulb planting tool to make a plug of clover. Then take that plug and transplant it to where I want clover to start growing? The bulb planter I have would punch a hole about 3" in diameter.

I have not had much success with seeding clover into my lawn.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
It probably will work but perhaps a more effective approach would be to use the clovers natural propagation methods. Clover multiplies rapidly by sending out stolons. These stolons can be separated from the mother plant to create new transplanted clover plants....without harming the mother plant.

Find a healthy mature plant with full green leaves. The stolons are located at the base of the clover plant -- root offshoots branching out from the base of the mother plant. Use sharp scissors to separate the stolon from its mother plant. To speed the process, you can dip the part of the stolon with the root-like hairs in rooting hormone...but the process works without it. Plant the clover stolon just below the surface in moist soil gently patting the soil down and be careful to water without disturbing at first.

Spring is a good time to do this here in East Texas but fall is okay also...just avoid the intense heat for awhile to get the plants established.

I tip my hat to you as so many people try to eliminate clovers from their lawn grasses...not me I love it and love what it does to build soils. Good luck.

Ask a Question