Sunflower question

Reaction score
Hey y'all,
One of my sunflowers has grown up high enough to touch our outside hot water heater vent, thus burning the bud so bad I just cut it off. My question.... Can I expect another bud on the plant? I have tied it back so as to not have it close to the vent. I live in south Louisiana so we have a long growing season ahead. Thanks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hey y'all,
One of my sunflowers has grown up high enough to touch our outside hot water heater vent, thus burning the bud so bad I just cut it off. My question.... Can I expect another bud on the plant? I have tied it back so as to not have it close to the vent. I live in south Louisiana so we have a long growing season ahead. Thanks.
I think you might get a side shoot lower down on the plant. I grew a bunch of sunflowers once and a hail storm demolished the buds and some of them made new buds on new shoots. Just have to wait and see. If they do make new buds the flowers will probably be much smaller

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, no! You had it planted next to a HOT WATER HEATER??? It's not hot enough in Louisiana already, lol? I am not a sunflower expert so all I can say is good luck with this one. Do be sure to come back later and let us all know how things turned out though. My neighbors planted them, but are moving soon. I hope the new people won't destroy them.

Reaction score
I have only grown one sunflower plant in my entire life and I was doing an experiment to see if one of those seeds from the ones you eat could grow. Oddly enough, not sure how it was possible but it did grow. It wasn't as tall as a normal sunflower though. My advice to you would be to maybe give the plant some room next time. It probably will send an off shoot of growth as that is usually what happens when a plant is topped.

Reaction score
It is to bad you lost your bud. You probably did not think the plant would get so tall, but I have seen some monsters. There is a good possibility the plant will put out at least one new shoot and it could get a bud on it. If so, the flower will be smaller that usual. Good luck!

Ask a Question