The 2018 Sunflower Growing Competition!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It's that time again! :D Most members have had a slow start to the year weather-wise, so the deadline for submissions is slightly later than last year - see below for details.

Prizes will be awarded for the following:

• Tallest sunflower
  • Biggest bloom
  • Most number of blooms on a single stem
  • Most charismatic! Something that makes us smile :)
The winner of each category will be awarded their very own Gardening Forums mug! We are working on a new mug design (so that if you won a mug last year then you can have a different one), but here is a link to the 2017 competition so you can see the prior year mugs: 2017 Sunflower Competition

Here are the rules:
  • Members with more than 50 posts at the time of the draw (14th September 2018) can enter.
  • The choice of seed variety is up to you, as long as it is a member of the helianthus genus.
  • Feel free to plant more than one if you like! The sunflower must have been planted this year, you cannot submit photos from prior years.
  • You can plant your sunflower(s) in the ground or in a pot.
  • You have until 14th September 2018 to submit a photo of your sunflower, together with the measurement. When taking a photo of your sunflower you must make sure to write your Gardening Forums username on a piece of paper and feature it in the photo.
  • Please note that you can submit your entry at any point before the deadline.
  • You can enter more than one prize category, but you can only win one prize. Prizes are awarded in the order listed above - for example if you grew the tallest sunflower with the biggest bloom, you would win the prize for tallest sunflower but not biggest bloom. The prize for biggest bloom would go to the next person in that category.
  • Most charismatic sunflower will be judged by the admin team - @Becky and @Ian.
  • The winners will be announced on 15th September 2018, and the mugs will be sent to you by post.

Feel free to share your progress in this topic :)

Seeds at the ready; on your marks, get set, GROW! :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a
Country
Canada
Really enjoyed this last year! Was a lot of work though and the time frame seemed to be cut short for people in the north. Even though I won for the tallest, my sunflowers ended up pushing 14 feet with almost 2 foot blooms in mid October! Most strains I seen in my area didn't really start showing till late September and this year everything seems to be a week behind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am out. I had some just breaking out as a suprise but my Becky dug them out as weeds and planted something else. I still have not told her.:cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A boot!!. What kind of redneck do you take me for anyway? And I told her. Of course she then told me I had dug up something important she had planted while planting my coleus. At that point, due to my extreme wisdom, I chose to say nothing further!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I was going to grow mint in it then send it to everyone in my family. A month later I was gonna send them a picture of where it came from. But the sunflower was just too perfect.
E060B87C-1171-486E-8E5D-B8A883379447.jpeg

Treblot84

~Home Grown~
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Between 6B and 7A
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I am new to this site, but I am looking forward to lots of fun times to come, and to sharing our sunflower experiences together. My 10 year old daughter and I have been growing sunflowers for 2 years now, so we are amatures at best. However, I am excited to see how we rank in this contest. Good luck to you all! Will post some of our flowers progress so far.

Ask a Question