Christmas Dinner 2018, your menu?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Mine will be a Roasted Turkey, have a 14 lb one needing to thaw soon. And stuffing. The sides still debating. its only the two of us. Got the Turkey almost free with store points for shopping there enough. Got it prior to Thanksgiving, had to freeze it as we went to Seattle for Thanksgiving. As I decide the sides, will chirp in. So, what are all of you having???

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
We will have a 14 lb turkey it's in the freezer, got it half price. It only takes a day to thaw out, so get it out on sunday. Prepare it on monday,put in fridge, do sage and onion stuffing made with sausage meat. Roast potatoes, cabbage, sprouts, peas, carrots and roast parsnips from the garden and gravy.
Christmas pudding with cranberry sauce and whipped cream. Also have some sparkling wine made in New Zealand.

For tea got a double chocolate gateaux with whipped cream and cranberry sauce and some more sparkling wine.
If we have room, turkey sandwiches with stuffing and some strong cheese with spring onions.

On Boxing Day we have the same.

There's only the 2 of us, so the turkey will last us for a week. It keeps well if kept on the bone and in the fridge. So only have to do veg to go with it.
Just have cold turkey with veg.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
will take my 14 lb Turkey 4 days to thaw in fridge, so taking it out of freezer on the 21st or 20th. to the fridge. Anyway, as also there is only 2 of us, the next day, much of the Turkey will be cut down, wrapped well and frozen for later use. and in about a week, what ever is left will be made into Turkey bone broth for the freezer also. And some of the meat will be made into Turkey Pot pie for the freezer also. Nothing like pulling out a pot pie in January to the oven and opening a can of cranberries for easy dinner.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I will have 9 at the table. So I will roast a turkey the day of and one the day before . Everyone likes leftover turkey sandwiches so this way, I have the leftovers ready early. I'll also bake some bread for their sandwiches.

My sides are usually mashed tatties, brussels sprouts, corn, carrot, acorn squash, mashed rutabaga, green and yellow beans. Dessert is pumpkin pie with whipped cream or apple pie with ice cream. And of course there's one of the trays of cookies.

I've already made and canned my cranberry sauces. Regular and hot types. Most are for give away but I do keep a couple for here.

I don't do anything with the carcasses from the turkeys. They go straight in tne green bin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
have not thought of dessert, as only 2 of us. have enough days to think on it. the bone broth I make from the Turkey carcasses is used for my risotto, as well as the (obvious ) soups later in January or February. I also do mashed spuds, and this time I get the heavy cream for it as well as the butter. Probably green beans also. Husband does not like cranberry sauce, so a small can is good for me. That will be a nice bunch for you, 9 folks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've never been that keen on Christmas lunches, although did have one last week at my golf club. a couple of dozen of us who regularly play together have one every year. but we have a carvery and turkey, pork and beef are included.

At home I'm very much a Sunday roast sort of person. I'd rather have that than turkey. But for many years we've had a lobster each, when they're available, but when not I'll settle for a sirloin steak.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Think that the Christmas lunch idea, is due to the amount of food put out, and the need to digest it all before sleeping, and the need to have time to watch the football game and pass out in front of the TV . But also "Lunch" is a subjective time. i like to start at 1PM with starters for a couple hours and drinks. Then about 3 PM bring out everything else.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
We will have a 14 lb turkey it's in the freezer, got it half price. It only takes a day to thaw out, so get it out on sunday. Prepare it on monday,put in fridge, do sage and onion stuffing made with sausage meat. Roast potatoes, cabbage, sprouts, peas, carrots and roast parsnips from the garden and gravy.
Christmas pudding with cranberry sauce and whipped cream. Also have some sparkling wine made in New Zealand.

For tea got a double chocolate gateaux with whipped cream and cranberry sauce and some more sparkling wine.
If we have room, turkey sandwiches with stuffing and some strong cheese with spring onions.

On Boxing Day we have the same.

There's only the 2 of us, so the turkey will last us for a week. It keeps well if kept on the bone and in the fridge. So only have to do veg to go with it.
Just have cold turkey with veg.:)

Crikey! That's a lot to eat. I bought some crisps and was naughty and opened one packet Walker salted! Good heavens! It was sooooooooo salty .. Walkers should be sued for poisoning us.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@CanadianLori What are you going to have for Christmas dinner please? Sorry for being so nosy! I wonder if @johnny canoe will host a dinner or his sisters will pamper him!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I do sometimes make a stock out of the turkey bones and get a lot of meat off them as well,the bits i can't get off with a knife. It's surprising how much meat i can get off.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I do sometimes make a stock out of the turkey bones and get a lot of meat off them as well,the bits i can't get off with a knife. It's surprising how much meat i can get off.:)

Bone broths are very good for you!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I did get a turkey a couple of weeks ago and cooked it, portioned it up for the freezer for the rest of the year, for sunday dinners.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hmmmm, @alp 1. I don't consider the question nosy :) 2. We're having what I posted earlier . It might have been delayed getting into the thread.

I don't bother with the carcass because I figure it's too much for one person to eat and usually by this time of year, my freezer is already stuffed so no room to save things for later.

Ask a Question