Christmas Films

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I'm a sucker for them every year. On UK Freeview TV, Channel 62 show them continually from the end of September.

My favourite is "Love at the Christmas Table."

This is a scene from this.
The record, (a track on an LP played on an old-fashioned gramaphone, really?) is by "Terrie and the Carlas."

They don't exist, but the tune is sure addictive.

The sound is better on this non-video recording.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've never been into Christmas movies very much, though I don't really watch many movies in general. There are a few Christmas movies that I've watched more than once, but I really just like them because they bring me back to when I was a kid.

When it comes to Christmas, it's the music that I really enjoy. Certain songs instantly bring me right back to my childhood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've never been into Christmas movies very much, though I don't really watch many movies in general. There are a few Christmas movies that I've watched more than once, but I really just like them because they bring me back to when I was a kid.

When it comes to Christmas, it's the music that I really enjoy. Certain songs instantly bring me right back to my childhood.
I like the love aspect of the season. It refreshes my spirit when so many other messages do not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I like the love aspect of the season. It refreshes my spirit when so many other messages do not.

I'm not that much into Christmas songs. But I like to play this one on my leccy piano, using some jazz chords.
Sorry about the background noise, it was a live recording with a mike.

https://app.box.com/s/34rfm0wg8i0vdezu65iq
That was on this, four years ago.

PSR 1000.JPG

But that's gone, I've now got this, a Tyros 5, it has external speakers and a sub-woofer which can rattle the windows if I chose, but I don't play it loud.

P1010626.JPG

It's a bit more sophisticated.

I subscribe to a dedicated Yamaha keyboard player's message board. We share our efforts using "Box" I must have 200 recordings on there.

I'll play anything, pop, jazz standards, Motown etc., but I'm into nostalgia too.

https://app.box.com/s/ih0cr8bdmatn5vyofm7tj108t5kqfzqe

https://app.box.com/s/05w3exsxu5bngite9jqpmtfgqzw639z1

https://app.box.com/s/05w3exsxu5bngite9jqpmtfgqzw639z1

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good thread Sean. (y)

I'll put "Love At The Christmas Table" on tonight because its a movie we haven't watched.

Bron and I enjoy romantic Christmas movies although the original Scrooge is a must to watch every year. One of our favourites is "The Christmas Card"

We have this on DVD and memory stick; get your hankies out? :):):)

I'm 100% non religious but I do enjoy Christmas carols like "White Christmas".

Roll on the Easter eggs.;)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We are "old school" (and I do mean old!) when it comes to Christmas films. We're No Angels with Bogart, the original film; we have two Christmas Carols, one with Alistair Sim and the George C. Scott one (George's is my favorite, but I do like the very simple special effects in Alistair's movie); and How the Grinch Stole Christmas (yes, I know that's a children's movie, but we are kids at heart and I love the little dog with the antlers stuck on his head. I tried that with our Golden Retriever. Once.)
Colin, we aren't formally religious at all, but I do love Christmas--shiny objects, a tree in the house, baking for a month in anticipation of giving cookies and sweet breads to everyone we know and a few strangers, and the music, oh, the music!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A couple more to look out for.

"If You Believe" with Hayden Panettierre. She's now a well known actress in many films aged 29. She was in the series "Nashville" on TV.

But this was made when she was aged 10. She's a "familiar."
You can see how good she was to become in this.

"A Gift Wrappped Christmas."

Is another good one. The whole film is on YouTube.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Hallmark make excellent movies but we can't watch most of them because the music pushes the voices into the background it being overpowering.

Thanks marlingardner; Bron loves Christmas because she can spend many hours making her beautiful Christmas cards and she really does like anything that glitters; I'm just a Victor Meldrew clone wishing Christmas out of the way and looking forward to springtime.

We visited M&S in Meadowhall yesterday and already the begging buckets are out.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We are "old school" (and I do mean old!) when it comes to Christmas films. We're No Angels with Bogart, the original film; we have two Christmas Carols, one with Alistair Sim and the George C. Scott one (George's is my favorite, but I do like the very simple special effects in Alistair's movie); and How the Grinch Stole Christmas (yes, I know that's a children's movie, but we are kids at heart and I love the little dog with the antlers stuck on his head. I tried that with our Golden Retriever. Once.)
Colin, we aren't formally religious at all, but I do love Christmas--shiny objects, a tree in the house, baking for a month in anticipation of giving cookies and sweet breads to everyone we know and a few strangers, and the music, oh, the music!
Becky was lamenting that the Christmas themed movie on TV tonight was "Die Hard" with the always bloodied Bruce Willis.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

White Christmas

How times have changed over the last 50 years. Modern movies are mostly violence; swearing; nastiness; greed and mobile phones.

During breakfast this morning we tried two YouTube movies; actually decent movies apart from background music in the foreground and mobile phone welded to ears both were turned off.

White Christmas is a true classic of a time when decency ruled; the song White Christmas is still an old time favourite and Christmas wouldn't be the same without hearing it. I'm a dinosaur in this modern age; when I was a child people had respect for themselves and respect for others; now its money and greed; stores pushing Christmas items long before Christmas; then Valentine Day and Easter; I expect to see Cadbury Cream Eggs very soon in the stores; there's no let up and we've even now got Black Friday? Why not have Pink Saturday; Red Sunday; White Monday; Yellow Tuesday; Blue Wednesday; Green Thursday; uncles; aunties; mother's; father's day it's all down to money. I don't like Christmas because its all so false but for anyone who does like Christmas I wish you all the very best.

Kind regards, Colin. (Bah Humbug).

Ask a Question