Christmas Dinner 2018, your menu?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I don't bother with the carcass because I figure it's too much for one person to eat and usually by this time of year, my freezer is already stuffed so no room to save things for later.
its the bone broth you get from the carcass, you through it away after done cooking it for about 5 hours, saving the broth in the freezer. I put it in 2 cup containers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Esther Knapicius I'm not that fond of soups etc to bother the simmering of the carcass etc but thank you for the reminder on how to get great broth if I need it :)
not to push the issue. but even if I make simple rice, either brown or white, I am using broth for the liquid not plain water. and its something to simmer things in, pork chops, chicken etc to thicken later for a sauce or gravy. just how I cook anyway. Oh, forgot, also use in my spaghetti sauce too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
not to push the issue. but even if I make simple rice, either brown or white, I am using broth for the liquid not plain water. and its something to simmer things in, pork chops, chicken etc to thicken later for a sauce or gravy. just how I cook anyway. Oh, forgot, also use in my spaghetti sauce too.
I like broth myself! But my wife sadly does not see it that way. I loaded in turkeys and a ham so I guess that is the way things will go around here. I am also betting on some desserts includes rhubarb tarts.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I like to make a stock with the bones in my pressure cooker, if i've got enough room in the freezer to put it so i can use later. Then i'Il use it for casseroles or cook the parsnips in. I used to put it in the gravy but it tasted salty,even though i didn't put any salt in.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I like to make a stock with the bones in my pressure cooker, if i've got enough room in the freezer to put it so i can use later. Then i'Il use it for casseroles or cook the parsnips in. I used to put it in the gravy but it tasted salty,even though i didn't put any salt in.:)
I got Becky an insta pot. I bet that thing is a stock making fool. Gotta try it now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Stock, I kinda just plan it out when I am going to be home. Start it early in my big stock pot, bring to boil, then to low for 4 to 5 hours. doing other things etc. My mom had a pressure cooker, so far never had the need for it. Recall she'd make the best beef veggie soup in it. Of course I think mothers have that nurturing spice built in.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Never be without my pressure cooker, it only takes 30 minutes to do stock in it.:) Do my christmas puddings in it and cook fruit when making jam.:)

@DirtMechanic what is a insta pot?
The latest and greatest is digital controls on a pressure cooker where the heating element is down below like an electric eye rather than banded around the sides like a slow cooker. This allows searing, steaming and slow cooking and pressure cooking and so forth in the same device. The steel pot is removable and a variety of "optional" purchases allow custimization. With the temp controls you can make yogurt for example. Not that I care about that, but Becky makes a mean corned beef. It has low pressure and high pressure, which is kinda cool for some things. Everything is a little more adjustable I guess. Her old rig is tried and true, but only has one weight on it for what I recall is a 15lb pressure.

Here the one I bought her -Insta Pot

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have 4 pressure cookers. A 4, 6, 9 and 22 liter. The biggest I only use for canning. I wouldn't do a whole turkey in it as I prefer roasted but it would make quick work of rendering the bones/carcass. They are magic for doing up beets and turnip and other tough stuff. Turnip in big chunks, cooked and ready to mash 10 minutes after getting up to pressure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have 4 pressure cookers. A 4, 6, 9 and 22 liter. The biggest I only use for canning. I wouldn't do a whole turkey in it as I prefer roasted but it would make quick work of rendering the bones/carcass. They are magic for doing up beets and turnip and other tough stuff. Turnip jn big chunks, cooked and ready to mash 10 minutes after betting up to pressure.
Big hard squash I bet also? I have gottwn pretty good at whole squash in the microwave. Depends on the dish, but poking holes with a fork and 10 minutes on high voila!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Like the whole Roasting Turkey all day, and smelling the wonderment. While its roasting you have lots of starters and drinks. yummy. I am pretty proactive when it comes to cooking things, so can set my oven timer to roast squashes and baked potatoes. don't thing a pressure cooker will caramelize squash for character of flavor. So far, even with working outside the home, I am good at being proactive with turning out a meal in 45 mins of walking in the door from work.

Ask a Question