Christmas baking for 2018

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i always start my christmas cake now. Does anybody else do.
I've had this tin since i was 11years old,when i started cooking at school.

IMG_20180207_082517.jpg

I' lined it 6 times with greeseproof paper brushing it with melted marg every time.
IMG_20180207_090017.jpg

Then wrapped a lot of news paper around to stop the sides from browning too much
IMG_20180207_090511.jpg

I always make it higher than the tin.
IMG_20180207_132938.jpg

Here it is baked,it took 6 hours to bake
IMG_20180208_054350.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cor, that's one good looking cake (y)

I enjoy fruitcake but Ian's not a massive fan, so I tend to do a lighter one. I'll do it a month or so before Christmas so I can feed it, but never too far in advance I'm afraid.

Do you feed yours through the year or just let it mature?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I don't start my Christmas baking yet, but I do have a list of ingredients I need. I carry the list with me each time I shop, and if something is on sale I get it and stash it. Just after Christmas I get two large bags of cranberries on sale and freeze them--cranberry nut bread. When pecans are plentiful in October, I get them in the shell from a local orchard and spend a few evenings picking them out.
I guess the fun of Christmas baking is a year 'round pleasure (rather like Logan's cake!).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I am one of the few who actually love fruit cake. Unfortunately baking isn't one of my talents so I rely on a local bakery for my cake. It sure doesn't look as good as yours Logan.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
On the subject of Christmas baking... I have a family member who bakes her Christmas puddings over a year in advance, but they are never very good unfortunately. She cooks them for a very long time, and they are black. One Christmas, when my brother and I were kids, she came for Christmas and brought a pudding... My brother was the first to take a bite, and in the way that only a child can, he proceeded to wince and shudder because it was so bitter! Still makes me chuckle to think about it :LOL:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Christmas?! Corr! You've got to be serious! I haven't shifted the "handles" acquired during Christmas!:eek::eek::ROFLMAO:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @marlingardener that cranberry nut bread sounds great. Hubby doesn't eat a lot of nuts any more, he's teeth are not very good. But he can manage chopped mixed nuts that i put in the cake.:)

Thanks @Silentrunning shop bought cakes are very good, I just like making my own and the puddings,but they are expensive.:)

Yes @alp i start christmas now.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Those mince pies look great @Logan! I actually made my Christmas cake in advance this year so that we could start enjoying it in December. I baked it in September, and fed it with whisky and Cointreau. It's yummy :D

Ask a Question