Turkey Christmas Dinner and all the trimmings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I'd been preparing the ingredients for the Sage and onion stuffing.
This is enough to stuff a 7.30kg Turkey
I make everything up and put it in the freezer seperatly.

1.lb 11oz roughly chopped onion

1lb 2oz wholemeal bread crumbs, i get the basic bread for this, it's cheaper.

19oz Lincolnshire sausages they have sage in them. It won't be too much with the fresh sage.

1oz fresh sage

Put the onions in a microwavable bowl. Cook the onions on the veg setting.
Cool then put in a container

Make the breadcrumbs in a processor and chop the sage at the same time with the bread.

Freeze the sausages as they are.

The day before Christmas eve, get everything out to defrost.
When the sausages have defrosted put in fridge.

On Christmas Eve take the skins off the sausages. In a very large bowl mix everything together

I use my Kenwood chef for this,View attachment 29946

It has a big bowl and it takes out all the hard work.
That's it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Serious work, Logan ! 1lb plus of onions - my eyes water at the mention of onions. But the day before yesterday, I fried some onions and the room kitchen smelt very nice.

Way to go, Logan .. I one 2kg duck as I love its flavour so much more. and I also have 2 chickens on standby .. That's my sorted.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @alp Britt's used to have duck before turkey came on the scene.
It's best to have a very sharp knife and dip the onions in water before hand.
Don't stand right over the onion.
When i used to ware contact lenses, onions didn't bother me. You could get some goggles.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The maximum number of onions I cut is 2. I will dip them in water from now on. I have bought some prosciutto ham and will make a list to top up a bit more. Son always has his turkey at his dad's..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sounds good @Logan :)

We don't have a whole bird (to be honest I much prefer chicken!) as I hate having leftovers and trying to think of some new and ingenious way of incorporating the spare bits, other than sandwiches and curry:D:ROFLMAO:

Must say hubs is very good and just opens the cupboards and chucks this and that in , and it's usually .... amazing!!!

My problem is that really and truly I am still a vegetarian..... only started eating a bit of meat after we married, as couldn't persuade hubs to join me :D

So I had never been interested in learning meat cooking skills from my mum......in those days I ate whatever the family had but without the meat!!......now there is such a wide choice to be found!

I still often leave out the meaty part of meals......as I adore vegetables, especially at this time of year!!!!!

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Upsy Daisy you should have had something else to replace the meat. Miss out on a lot of vitamins and iron.My brother is a vegetarian so i know.:)

I just do dinners with cold turkey warmed up and sandwiches. It keeps for a week in the fridge, if left on the bone.:)
Don't do all those fancy meals, life's too short.:D

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just made the sausages on horseback.

Roll bacon round them
Tuck the bacon ends in
Put in a roasting tin with the ends of bacon underneath.
Add a cup of turkey stock
Don't let them touch or they'll stick together.
Cover with foil
Cook for 45 mins in electric top oven at 70c
IMG_20171129_093713.jpg

I don't let them brown at this stage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Logan , my stuffing uses the same stuff as yours. sorry but don't get the need to freeze all way ahead like that. Just stuffed a 17 lb turkey for Thanksgiving. night before, simmered one onion and one rib of celery in a pan, when tender, covered with a lid and put it out on the deck to get cold. (fridge was full) while it simmered, I walked away to do other chores. Next morning, grabbed my bag of dry cubed bread (don't use crumbs) poured bread in a big bowl, cut up the sage tossed in, whipped three eggs--poured that over all, got the sausage out and crumbled that around, now a handful of walnuts and peeled and cut up one apple toss that in. get the pan off the deck spill that in, add pepper and salt. turkey is ready, cavity is open. thread and needle is waiting. mixed the big bowl, and proceeded to put all in the cavity. Needle and thread --sewed up the cavity. buttered the bird, took out homemade turkey bone broth from freezer put in roaster next to the bird, Foiled the wings, and leg ends, more salt. Lid on, and into the oven. all under 30 mins.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Logan , my stuffing uses the same stuff as yours. sorry but don't get the need to freeze all way ahead like that. Just stuffed a 17 lb turkey for Thanksgiving. night before, simmered one onion and one rib of celery in a pan, when tender, covered with a lid and put it out on the deck to get cold. (fridge was full) while it simmered, I walked away to do other chores. Next morning, grabbed my bag of dry cubed bread (don't use crumbs) poured bread in a big bowl, cut up the sage tossed in, whipped three eggs--poured that over all, got the sausage out and crumbled that around, now a handful of walnuts and peeled and cut up one apple toss that in. get the pan off the deck spill that in, add pepper and salt. turkey is ready, cavity is open. thread and needle is waiting. mixed the big bowl, and proceeded to put all in the cavity. Needle and thread --sewed up the cavity. buttered the bird, took out homemade turkey bone broth from freezer put in roaster next to the bird, Foiled the wings, and leg ends, more salt. Lid on, and into the oven. all under 30 mins.
That sounds great but, i make it for the whole week and into New Year. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
That sounds great but, i make it for the whole week and into New Year. :)
you make what for the whole week. "enough stuffing to last the whole week" ? I have done triple and used a side bowl to bake it in oven, same method. Just to me, its bother with wrapping, freezing, and room in freezer etc. even right now I have stuffing left. But to each its own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question