Christmas Dinner 2018, your menu?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
YEP, its I that rules the kitchen. mine is a whole turkey, got a deal with grocery points etc. mine is in oven at 500 degrees for 30 mins, then down to 325 for 2.5 hours, not opening door at all till then, to lift lid and start the browning time, with basting etc. We should be opening gifts, but instead going outside to fuss with garden some. nice day here. Later gifts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
YEP, its I that rules the kitchen. mine is a whole turkey, got a deal with grocery points etc. mine is in oven at 500 degrees for 30 mins, then down to 325 for 2.5 hours, not opening door at all till then, to lift lid and start the browning time, with basting etc. We should be opening gifts, but instead going outside to fuss with garden some. nice day here. Later gifts.
I have learned to circumvent that wait to open presents nonsense by handing out small gifts. At our house, the pets often give small gifts, and of course get some in return. It must be a momentum thing, because once I crack the ice, the dam starts leaking Christmas Spirit and the whole mess ends in a flurry of paper, bows and laughter. I have learned to get my large garbage bags, scissors and a box cutter near my chair ahead of time, and once I settle in with a cup of coffee, I can snipe passersby with gift shots.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Our menu is simple. We will have beef filets, potatoes Duchesse, steamed broccoli cut from the garden this morning, tomato aspic (from our own tomatoes), pull-apart yeast rolls, and pumpkin pie for dessert.
The cats will have the juice from two cans of tuna, the hens will have lettuce from the garden, and we'll all have a great dinner!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Cornbread dressing, Smoked Turkey, Cranberry sauce, Cheese, Gravy, Mincemeat, Cherry, and Pumpkin pie. Ice cream.

In the rush of the holiday it seems the vegetables were forgotten. Serious lapse for a gardener, In my defense I spent a lot of time making the cornbread dressing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Just had christmas dinner, put the turkey in at 5.30. worked that it would take 5 hours, checked it at 9.30 and it was done. Wished i checked it earlier. The legs fell off the body when i tried to lift it, but at least it was done.
View attachment 47915
View attachment 47916
View attachment 47917
Also we had a sparkling wine with it, from NZ
Then christmas pudding with cranberry sauce and whipped cream.
Some that was left over and put in freezer to be forgotten.
View attachment 47918
Homemade Cranberry sauce
View attachment 47919
Triple chocolate gateaux, have it with cream and cranberry sauce.
View attachment 47920
Becky make homemade cranberry sauce! Good stuff!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Turkey from yesterday., before the carving began. got lots of yummy juices for gravy and additional containers to freeze. stuffing in the bird. additional items were mashed spuds made with heavy cream & butter, whipped nice. broccoli, cranberry sauce from can. and a nice wine. lots of cookies for dessert. later that evening carved out one entire breast for freezer, and a whole leg and more dark meat for another lump for freezer. Will work on remaining for a few days. This weekend what ever meat is left will be picked off and a turkey pot pie for freezer will be made. Then the bones will be put to a good long simmer in stock pot for both broth freezing. Just the two of us. Later, surprise my husbands brother showed up, he had been at his sister's house for dinner. Wanted a plate from me also. And said he did not like her food. Yep, I know (in my head) she does not cook well. So he got a big plate and ate it all up. Took home cookies also. Yep, there are issues between my husbands sister and himself, long story.

Breakfast this morning was stuffing, had all the food groups, bread, eggs, veggies, apple, walnuts, love it.
IMG_5290.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Big stock pot out, bones and bits tossed in, with one onion, 3 stalks of celery, 8 cloves of garlic, 3 bay leafs, some pink salt, and lots of water to cover. simmering for 5 hours at least. to strain, cool, raise fat and freeze the liquid for future use in soups, and rice. House again smells good.

Ask a Question