Support for Peas and Sunflowers?

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Hi,

I've started pre-growing some plants indoors and am wondering:

1) Do you support (hold up) your sunflowers ever, indoors or outdoors? In the past i've always done it as i've been afraid they would break off in the wind but maybe that is not the case. This year i'm growing the 30 - 50 cm high variant along with some super huge 3.5 m ones! In the house they are all about 10 cm high and some are leaning over or growing kinda curvy instead of straight. Do i support them with a small stick?

2) My peas have also started off well. They are about 8 cm high and i know they are climbers but am wondering if i should support them with a mini-net or just let them fall over until i transplant them outside?

any tips are greatly appreciated :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If your flower stems are only 10cm(4inches) tall, "and some are leaning over or growing kinda curvy instead of straight." then this suggests to me that your plants are growing weedy because they are not getting nearly enough light, as they should be self-supporting at that length.
You can spend much time and effort trying to save them, but it will be far easier to start again, and, when they germinate, grow them in a much lighter area.

If you do not support your peas now, they will intermingle and entwine to such an extent that you'll break a lot of them trying to support them later.
Get them out in the garden.

Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Well, i only started them 4 weeks ago so i think they are growing ok, given the lighting where i have them. Its the best spot in the house so it will have to do.
Will plant them out May 1st and there they will get a fair bit more sun.
May 1st is hopefully safe and no more frost will come after that. Then for sure, lots of stuff indoors will go outdoors.

So your saying no support needed for sunflowers. good to know.
even the 3.5 m high ones?

Ask a Question