Forcing a sunflower to face the wrong way?

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Bit of a weird question... But I have a huge sunflower growing on my balcony trough that is currently pointing up almost ready to bloom, there is no way to move the trough but if it blooms facing the sun I will basically never see the beautiful flower, only from behind...

I know it's not natural but is there any way to make it to face away from the sun? Maybe guiding it with string or wires or something and tightening them slightly each day?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Yes you could try guiding or training your sunflower plant, you will have to be very careful, the best way to do it is to put some stout canes either side of the plant and gently tie in the direction you wish it to go, do not tie too tight else you will break flower stalk, allow the stalk to make more growth before you tighten, repeat process every couple of days until the desired effect is achieved..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Use two mirrors @ 90deg behind it, and a sun screen in front. When it faces how you want, use two stakes to pin the flower in position.

Ask a Question